The latest Chrome build features a built-in password generator

Justin Kahn

Google looks as though it is gearing up to take on third party password managers like 1Password, Dashlane and LastPass. In the latest version of its Chrome Canary build, the company has  added a handy password generator integrated directly into the browser.

Its password manger system has been around for a little while and recently received a fresh overhaul of its own, but now Google is looking to offer up difficult to crack passwords to anyone for free. At this point, once enabled the feature is embedded directly into the Chrome browser and will automatically appear when you navigate to a sign up page. As Google's François Beaufort wrote on Google+, once a user focuses on a password field the new generator overlay will appear suggesting "a strong and pronounceable password that will be saved in your chrome passwords."

While there are a number of third party software solutions out there for password management/creation, as well as a host of browser extensions, those options are still mainly for tech minded people. The convenience and simplicity of Google's option may offer those who don't normally bother with third party apps a quick and easy solution.

It isn't clear whether or not it will become a permanent feature but for those who want to give it a try, you'll need the latest Chrome Canary build and then head to chrome://flags for the "enable-password-generation" and "enable-save-password-bubble" options.

Permalink to story.

The irony of course, is that in order to remember all those strong and unique passwords, the only option is to write them all down.

Either that or just accept that you'll only be able to log into website from the PC where the passwords are saved.

Either that or just accept that you'll only be able to log into website from the PC where the passwords are saved.
I keep my KeePass database in the cloud...along with my naked selfies.

Last edited:
Probably being paranoid, but what if they put a flaw in the hashing algorithm on purpose? I'll stick to my solution.

If your web browser got this dumb and lazy to use it, it is a degenerator :)
Oh man. I hate to do this since you are one of the few people that push back on all the Apple hate around here, but.. Safari suggests passwords for you when you are creating an account somewhere.

Oh man. I hate to do this since you are one of the few people that push back on all the Apple hate around here, but.. Safari suggests passwords for you when you are creating an account somewhere.
Apple users have the right to be dumber than PC, they pay premium for it ;) I personally live right in the middle between the two, it can be confusing :)

Love Lastpass. Don't know how I ever survived without it before. Now if I hear of a breach somewhere its like no big deal at all. Good to hear Chrome is starting to make a password manager. I'm surprised none of the browsers have this. If they do its very weak security and not synced between your desktops.

Love Lastpass. Don't know how I ever survived without it before. Now if I hear of a breach somewhere its like no big deal at all. Good to hear Chrome is starting to make a password manager. I'm surprised none of the browsers have this. If they do its very weak security and not synced between your desktops.

Same here...I hear of a breach, I just let lastpass create a new one for the site.

The simple fact of the matter is, you're better off making up your own passwords, writing them down, and keeping them in your home safe. Try thinking "outside the cloud" for a change.

And that's no matter which browser or OS you're using.

Last edited:
In reply to SalaSSin, you are not being paranoid, this is why the NSA is pushing, they want you to think that being over protective around privacy matters is being paranoid and it seems that they are succeeding.

I don't blame you for thinking so. Similarly, it is thought that random generators used in encryption software are flawed with backdoors, so stick to YOUR methods and don't trust anyone.

Back