The Level Touch is a smart lock in a timeless design

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Upon closer inspection, you’ll learn that traditional keys are optional. With the Level Touch, you can enter or exit using the touch of a finger, your voice or a programmable keycard. Like other smart lock offerings, you can use the Level app to let trusted people into your home from anywhere.

Level Home on Tuesday unveiled the latest entry in its line of “invisible” smart home entry products.

Smart locks have traditionally suffered from the same stigma that plagued early hybrid vehicles. That is, manufacturers are so proud of their creations that they designed their outward appearance to reflect the fact that it was something different on the inside.

While that aesthetic approach may appeal to some, others prefer a classic, understated look that doesn’t raise any suspicion. Hence, the Level Touch was born.

At first glance, the aptly named Level Touch looks no different than your standard residential deadbolt complete with key slot.

Level Touch carries a AAA rating with BHMA, a residential grading system that evaluates and rates hardware based on security, durability and finish. “A” is the best grade in each category.

The Level Touch if offered in nickel, chrome, brass and matte black finishes through Level’s website priced at $329 each. The nickel variant is scheduled to ship out in two weeks; the others don’t yet have a definitive launch date.

Permalink to story.

The easiest way to break into someone's home without using force against the door is to simply wait for them to open it and then force them inside at gunpoint.

Personally, I prefer low-tech.

The mere fact my daughter's RING camera can be hacked in her bedroom and someone can steal my Hellcat using a wireless key fob transmitter tells me that "smart" ain't all that smart.

I keep my house as low-tech as possible. No smart items. No cameras inside of it. No anything that can be accessed remotely.

I go low tech all the way .... pump shotgun with #4 shot (mini's' so I get a couple extra shells in the tube) in the bedroom .... several 9mm with hollow points at strategic places in the house. To date only had one robbery attempt and he was arrested & prosecuted after he got out of the hospital ..... other than scaring the attack cats, it worked great.

Way over priced...! One thing that is overlooked in lock design is the ability to freely turn the knob from inside and run away with loots....A pro thief can quietly come inside your home through an unlocked window or cut/broken glazing and walk right out by turning the knob or deadbolt lock lever open...For this reason all my locks are keyed from inside as well as outside...

Way over priced...! One thing that is overlooked in lock design is the ability to freely turn the knob from inside and run away with loots....A pro thief can quietly come inside your home through an unlocked window or cut/broken glazing and walk right out by turning the knob or deadbolt lock lever open...For this reason all my locks are keyed from inside as well as outside...
Just make sure you can find your keys while crouching low in the darkness below the choking smoke, in the case of a fire. A lot of people have died because their houses were so "secure" that they couldn't get out in a real emergency.

Back