The new Honor Magic V is the company's first foldable phone

jsilva

Forward-looking: After teasing it on social media, Honor has finally pulled the curtain on its first foldable phone, the Magic V. With it, Honor will be joining the ranks of companies with a foldable handset, including Samsung, Xiaomi, and its former parent company, Huawei.

Like the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3, Honor's foldable phone has an external screen and the larger inner screen. The outer screen uses a 6.45-inch curved OLED panel with a 2560x1080 resolution and 120Hz refresh rate. The internal display measures 7.9 inches diagonally and has a 2272x1984 resolution and a refresh rate of 90Hz. Both panels cover 100% of the DCI-P3 color spectrum and have a 10-bit color depth (1.07 billion colors).

The Honor Magic V will be powered by the recently announced Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen1 chipset, packing the new Adreno GPU that promises to deliver a 30 percent performance uplift over its predecessor. There's 12GB of RAM and 256/512GB of storage to complement the SoC, which should be enough even for power users.

The phone's rear photo array setup consists of a 50MP primary, a 50MP ultrawide, and a 50MP "spectrum enhanced" camera. In addition, there's a 42MP front selfie cam on both internal and external screens.

Thanks to the dual-circuit battery design and the 4,750mAh battery, Honor's foldable phone can last for a whole day of usage. Honor's 66W SuperCharge technology allows the device to charge up to 50 percent of the battery in just 15 minutes. For a full charge, it takes about 40/50 minutes.

Based on Android 12, Honor Magic UI 6.0 will debut with Magic V, providing users with a new skin and features like AI Engine and Magic Live, Honor's personal assistant. Moreover, there's also support for Multi-Windows, allowing users to split the screen into multiple windows to use various apps simultaneously.

The Honor Magic V will be available in black, silver, and orange in China starting January 8th for ¥9,999/$1,568 (256GB) and ¥10,999/$1,725 (512GB).

Permalink to story.

I had some hands on time with a foldable and I guess they're kinda cool. It was nice navigating the phone for things like calls on the front screen while I could open it up to send texts on the larger screen. Overall, durability is a major concern of mine. I don't really see a need to change the smartphone from what it already it is. They had to start putting multiple cameras on phones just to add stuff to new models.

We've reach a point where even low end phones can provide a wonderful user experience. My S21+ is the best phone I've ever owned but if I didn't get it for free from a promotion t-mobile was having I'd have walked out of the store with a sub $200 phone.

Why would you carry a heavy folded tablet with you is beyond me, unless you use it for your job or/and you spend 90% of your time on the phone. Anyhow, unless Apple comes up with a model I don't think it's ever going to go mainstream.

I had some hands on time with a foldable and I guess they're kinda cool. It was nice navigating the phone for things like calls on the front screen while I could open it up to send texts on the larger screen. Overall, durability is a major concern of mine. I don't really see a need to change the smartphone from what it already it is. They had to start putting multiple cameras on phones just to add stuff to new models.

We've reach a point where even low end phones can provide a wonderful user experience. My S21+ is the best phone I've ever owned but if I didn't get it for free from a promotion t-mobile was having I'd have walked out of the store with a sub $200 phone.

Kind of what I did.
I upgraded my watch last spring, to a Galaxy Watch3. More features. But, I couldn't get anything to work on my non Samsung OnePlus 7T phone, without having to do a crap load of modding, hacking and what not. So I ordered a "renewed" Samsung A71 5G for 300 bucks. Got all of the features except blood pressure to work (not authorized yet in the USA).
For a mid spec phone, it's just as responsive as my 7T. Battery life is 2 days (I keep 5G turned off)
The only "slow" is when apps are installed off the google store, which doesn't bother me.
300 bucks, works just as good as the higher end phones (I'm not a gamer), camera works just as well, why pay 3 times the money or more?

Why would you carry a heavy folded tablet with you is beyond me, unless you use it for your job or/and you spend 90% of your time on the phone. Anyhow, unless Apple comes up with a model I don't think it's ever going to go mainstream.

I carried a PSP. These things are smaller, and have bigger screens. Hell, the Fold 3 is about perfect for reading Manga.

Back