The new trade war: China's dramatic rise in the EV market

Jay Goldberg

Staff
Why it matters: Recently, there has been significant news about China's Electric Vehicle (EV) industry, primarily concerning its statistics. We predict this trend may lead to greater global trade issues. China has become a net exporter of vehicles for the first time in its history. They are selling a lot of EVs to the world, and that will reverberate throughout the global economy.

Eurostat, the EU's statistical agency, released the latest data on car trade. China now accounts for nearly 50% of Europe's EV imports. To put this in context, Europeans purchased about 9 million cars in 2022, of which 12%, or 1 million cars, were EVs. Of these, 500,000 originated from China.

Editor's Note:
Guest author Jonathan Goldberg is the founder of D2D Advisory, a multi-functional consulting firm. Jonathan has developed growth strategies and alliances for companies in the mobile, networking, gaming, and software industries.

Further analysis reveals that about half of these were China-made Teslas, with the rest primarily being other Chinese brands. We have derived this data from Eurostat, DW, an insightful report from EU-China think tank Merics, and the Financial Times.

This development has led to a substantial shift in trade between Europe and China. China represents an important market for European car manufacturers. For years, they have engaged in joint ventures in China to produce low and mid-priced vehicles, meaning most of these exports were luxury cars. The trade balance was previously around $3 billion to $5 billion in Europe's favor. However, over the past two years, with a significant acceleration in the past 12 months, the balance has shifted. It still favors Europe, but it has fallen to approximately $2 billion. Almost all of this shift is attributed to EVs.

China is clearly on the rise, not just in EV production, but as a major player on the global export stage. We warned about this in January, and evidence of this rise is becoming increasingly prominent in trade data. From a broader perspective, economist Brad Setser recently tweeted data showing the surge in China's overall automotive exports in the past year. China is now a net exporter of cars probably for the first time in its history, and most of this growth is attributed to electric cars.

This transition carries important implications. The most obvious is the potential escalation of trade tensions. The US and China have been in a trade war for several years, and we believe this latest data significantly raises the probability of the EU getting involved.

Secondly, one of China's major weaknesses in its ascent to manufacturing prominence this century has been its companies' inability to establish brands. Many consumers purchase numerous Chinese-made products, yet we can name fewer than a dozen Chinese brands recognizable to consumers outside of China. These notable exceptions include smartphone brands like BBK's Oppo, Vivo, One Plus, Xiaomi, and Transsion's various brands. Brand owners can command a larger share of value, and the ability to achieve globally recognized brands represents a significant step in economic development. Chinese automakers now appear to be accomplishing this in one of the wealthiest industries.

To relate this back to semiconductors, we believe this trade data carries two important implications. First, as we have detailed extensively, EVs require a significant number of semiconductors. Except for Tesla, most of China's EVs are fairly low-priced, but even these vehicles necessitate substantial semiconductor content. The low prices are likely to further stimulate the transition to EVs, which is generally beneficial for the semiconductor industry.

Second, from a trade perspective, one of the major concerns regarding US sanctions on China's semiconductors has been the willingness of allied countries to participate. For US sanctions to be effective, the US government needs support from other countries, especially Japan, South Korea, and Europe – all home to significant automotive industries.

We think it's probable that trade data like this will encourage these countries to take notice and be more accepting of US sanctions. In particular, Germany, which has seemed somewhat resistant to the US expanding trade measures against China, might reconsider its stance with the cornerstone of its industrial model potentially at risk.

Permalink to story.

What is this article exactly about?
That China EV is expanding and is successful and US do not "like" it?
And this success is 50% due to collaboration with US Tesla?
Competition is good. Stop whining, start innovating, lower the price and compete fair.
Better change your greed corporate bussines model. If I buy a car, I OWN it, not rent it, or pay a subscription to use options which are already incorporated when I bought it.
Good luck with that, instead of pushing lame US corporate propaganda which does not benefit anybody except making reach those corporations.

This article is quite low quality one from the title.
"The new trade war: China's dramatic rise in the EV market"
You meant China SUCCESSFUL rise in the EV market, regardless if US corporations like it or not.
Why dramatic and why war? Because war is a trend nowadays?
How about peace and competing fair in a free market?
Almost everything from US nowadays is war. Even in tech media.
Oh, and US claims that anybody who competes successfully against them, means that is going war against US. How smart is this? With this kind of vision, in short time, US will be in a form of war with the entire world.
Please come with a more intelligent or at least better narrative.
For example, try to bring more POSITIVE and OPTIMISTIC news, instead of making most of the news about some kind of "war".
Or you can do better, bring everyday at least 1 FUNNY news connected to tech. :)
Because I can tell you that this kind of "war" tech news, as this, are not "funny" at all.
But I know that, for this to happen, it requires a change in mentality, which it seems that is the hardest to achieve.

Last edited:
What is this article exactly about?
That China EV is expanding and is successful and US do not "like" it?
Competition is good. Stop whining, start innovating, lower the price and compete fair.
Good luck with that, instead of pushing lame US corporate propaganda.
I, also, had a hard time understanding exactly what the article was about. That said, I would never trust a Chinese EV and there are plenty of US budget options aside from Tesla, which is marketed as a luxury brand.

Moving entire western production to a country ruled by communists,
Good plan? Well, it is profitable, profits are good, so was the plan.
Who is China building that giant army and fleet? Is it not for the countries that moved their entire businesses there?

I, also, had a hard time understanding exactly what the article was about. That said, I would never trust a Chinese EV and there are plenty of US budget options aside from Tesla, which is marketed as a luxury brand.
Exactly, and the irony is that US Tesla company chose to do business with China because is profitable.
About trust, I cannot trust any company which sell a car as a subscription model, regardless from US or China. How about the subscription ending in the middle of a race, journey etc, and the driver could not access them anymore? This is more important, so I do not trust any corporate which may put user in danger if they do not pay a subscription.

Last edited:
Moving entire western production to a country ruled by communists,
Good plan? Well, it is profitable, profits are good, so was the plan.
Who is China building that giant army and fleet? Is it not for the countries that moved their entire businesses there?
What China does with its profit is China bussiness as the same as what US corporations does with their profits is theirs too.
And from what I checked last time, US corporations chose to enrich only it's owners, while evading the taxes in fiscal paradises or using some US loopholes laws, which some US elected corrupted representative voted.
In the same time China chose to use its profits to raise 500 million of its citizens from poverty.
This is a subject to think more about.
And you wander why Chinese population support their govern, that's why.
In the mean time most of Americans live from monthly paycheck to next, while US Corporations become richer and greedier.

Last edited:
What China do with its profit is China bussiness
We are rivals to say the least. Maybe enemies in the future. Making a potential enemy stronger is not wise to say the least. USSR learned it the hard way. I fact, it would be extinct if it did not receive help from its political rivals.
"What chine is doing with the profit," it builds an army strong enough to get rid of rivals.

We are rivals to say the least. Maybe enemies in the future. Making a potential enemy stronger is not wise to say the least. USSR learned it the hard way. I fact, it would be extinct if it did not receive help from its political rivals.
"What chine is doing with the profit," it builds an army strong enough to get rid of rivals.
This kind of mindset is the problem. Why rivals or enemies? No, it is not seeing other as enemies. And we can be better. Only for US corporation dictatorship others are enemies, for the rest of the world is OK. Many countries trade for the benefit of both.
Only US corporations are trying to push this lame "war" propaganda.
And US citizens should not be bonded or forced to comply with US corporation dictatorship vision. I see US as a great nation, just that, recently and unfortunately, was hijacked by some greedy US corporations which bought politicians and enforced their twisted visions to others. In US is called "lobby" and US corporations "made it legal".
I did not hear any European corporation with this type of rhetoric for war tech competition, or Japanese or other Asian corporations.
And this is something to meditate, think about too.

Last edited:
This kind of mindset is the problem. Why rivals or enemies? No, it is not seeing other as enemies. And we can be better. Only for US corporation dictatorship others are enemies, for the rest of the world is OK. Many countries trade for the benefit of both.
Only US corporations are trying to push this lame "war" propaganda.
And US citizens should not be bonded or forced to comply with US corporation dictatorship vision. I see US as a great nation, just that unfortunately was hijacked by some greedy US corporations which bought politicians and enforced their twisted visions to others. In US is called "lobby" and US corporations "made it legal".
I did not hear any European corporation with this type of rhetoric, Japanese or other Asian.
And this is something to meditate, think about too.
China has more human rights violations than the Nazi's did during WW2. The fact that we're okay with that because it's "good for business" is offensive.

China has more human rights violations than the Nazi's did during WW2. The fact that we're okay with that because it's "good for business" is offensive.
Before making this kind of allegations or claims it is better to do more research and bring some proofs which can support your claims.
Until than, I suggest to do a comparison research, which country violated more human rights between US and China for example. You can start with founding US, which was done by genocide, murdering the native american population.
And if you opened Pandora box about Nazis and WW2, check about US operation Paperclip which "saved" some of the most dangerous Nazis scientists from Nuremberg trials, brought them into US and made them working for US. You will find quickly many inconvenient truths and the web of lies and double standards in which some US governants manipulate its own citizens.
Which country invaded, occupied, bombarded and wage most wars in the last 70 years?
The response to this question will decide all of the doubts.
China may be not be saints too, but be careful to not let yourself deceived accusing other which your govern is doing worse.

Last edited:
Before making this kind of allegations or claims it is better to do more research and bring some proofs which can support your claims.
Until than, I suggest to do a comparison research, which country violated more human rights between US and China for example. You can start with founding US, which was done by genocide, murdering the native american population.
And if you opened Pandora box about Nazis and WW2, check about US operation Paperclip which saved some of the most dangerous Nazis scientist from Nurenberg trials, brought them into US and made them working for US. You will find quickly many unconvenient truths and the web of double standards in which some US governants manipulate its own citizens.
China may be not be saints too, but be careful to not let yourself deceived.
The US is not a saint, but we don't have human organ harvesting farms, slave labor or "re-education" camps for people like uyghur muslims. And, frankly, it was Spain who killed the most people in the America's during the age of imperalism. Ever wonder why spanish is the primary language in south and central America? Maybe the Aztecs already spoke it. I guess we all will let that one go because it doesn't fit the narrative of "US=Bad"

Article needs a MAJOR rewrite to make it more understandable. Nothing wrong with competition no matter how wide we throw the net BUT considering China's track record it's going to take a LOT of convincing before many will throw their hat in the arena and with the current tensions between the USA and China there is no telling what the govt of either country might try so BUYER BEWARE .....

The US is not a saint, but we don't have human organ harvesting farms, slave labor or "re-education" camps for people like uyghur muslims. And, frankly, it was Spain who killed the most people in the America's during the age of imperalism. Ever wonder why spanish is the primary language in south and central America? Maybe the Aztecs already spoke it. I guess we all will let that one go because it doesn't fit the narrative of "US=Bad"
As I said, better bring proofs. Those allegations about human organ harvesting farms for example, I checked and what they claim is that those organs were transplanted to US rich people who traveled in secret and especially for those kind of operations and paid huge money for them. Again it is rather about unscrupulous rich peoples and profit. How twisted is this? What to believe? If I conclude that China harvest human organs why US rich people are involved?
Spain did genocide too in South America, as US did genocide to native population in North America. It seems that is easy for you to see the Spanish genocide and in the same time you have difficulties in acknowledging and admitting this simple truth about US genocide in North America. Always pointing to others. It IS OK, I just emphasize that what you are pointing, US did more and worse. And this kind of approach is not productive, because the rest of the world can see both wrongdoings of US and China, and I can tell you that in this competition US is by far the infamous "winner".

Last edited:
As I said, bring proofs. Those allegations about human organ harvesting farms for example, I checked and what they claim is that those organs were transplanted to US rich people who traveled in secret and especially for those kind of operations and paid huge money for them. Again it is rather about unscrupulous rich peoples and profit. How twisted is this?
Spain did genocide too in South America, as US did genocide in North America. It seems that you have difficulties in acknowledging and admitting this simple truth about US in North America. Always pointing to others. It IS ok, I just emphasize that what you are pointing, US did more and worse.

And lets not forget about France's role in killing natives in North America if we're going to start pointing fingers. Prior to the Louisiana purchase, the french were responsible for killing many of the natives west of the Mississippi, but it was Spain that brought disease to the America's killing far more people than any imperialist practices by any nation.

Last edited:
Musk lowered Tesla prices in China while BYD raised theirs. Last I heard BYD has as much manufacturing space as the physical size of the state of New Jersey?

China is just on a whole other level.

Back on topic please. Thank you.
Good point, but please be more transparent and consistent with your editorial guidelines.
This include-without double standards. :cool:
I came here for tech news, but too often I found US corporate lame propaganda wrapped as tech news.
This I pointed out few times. Please bring us mainly tech news.
And I offered you some valuable suggestions and solutions how to do it and improve it.
I also criticized what is out of common sense.
And I think that it is time for your editorial team to clarify what type of audience you address to.
If it is ONLY US or INTERNATIONAL audience, and most important, if it is a TECH audience.
Wish you Good luck in bringing great tech news and constantly improving TechSpot articles.

Last edited:
When you have the natural resources to dig up, without having to worry about "environmental issues".
When you have ready access to unlimited labor. (slave labor)
When you have ready access to intellectual property. (stealing it)

Gee, and you wonder why they are so strong?

The concept of an EV is good, but the implementation... ugh. To me they're still drivable data siphons & tracking devices rather than actual cars, Chinese or not.
But, in their defense, so are most modern ICE cars, even "cheap" ones. Except the super simple designs you could find in India, Russia or some SEA countries.

You don't have to trust them. He just said accept the greed that's taking place in the US. And that competition from China is good so you can one day buy cheaper EV from US. But with Japan sticking a middle finger up at the owners of oil companies and going hydrogen...

And again, EV/ hydrogen, its not the solution. There's more cars on roads, you're still going to have to get up earlier each year by 5 or 10 mins to get to work. Potholes still going to damage your vehicles.
Knock your cities down, build straight flat roads.
Make better public transport. No need for cars. EV/hydrogen for emergency services, taxis for the last part of journeys or electric bikes.
Otherwise its a band aid on a severed artery.

The concept of an EV is good, but the implementation... ugh. To me they're still drivable data siphons & tracking devices rather than actual cars, Chinese or not.
But, in their defense, so are most modern ICE cars, even "cheap" ones. Except the super simple designs you could find in India, Russia or some SEA countries.

Disagree. EV is a non solution. Its just capitalism on an idea. Hybrids are made to look green. The battery is tiny does nothing. Gas used 99%. And you just have a car that screams I'm green I swear, while causing as much of an issue as any other car.
So says an engineer who helped design a range rover one at least. Pointless he said.

Topic and Off-topic:

- China made low quality products, had cheap manufacturing and was a good source for raw materials

- a couple of decades ago the industry (funny enough helped by the governments) moved to China to produce cheaper and to be allowed to sell there (= make a lot of money for the western companies). That was specially helpful for USA and major European (= Belgian, Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, England) companies.

- with that, China played well on the long run and now they won most battles: they have ultra high end knowledge (military, tech from big electronic players as Samsung, Apple, LG, etc.) and they produce equivalent of not better products than most western companies. Batteries: check; screens and general electronics (minus "print" high end chips): check; software: almost check; optics, cameras, engines, metal, etc etc etc etc etc: check)

So, all in all, they have the energy, raw materials, industry, workers and more even the knowledge and money.

What is happening? The EU, USA and others are now (unfortunately because I born and live on those regions) are getting "stuff" stick up their @.s and are very afraid. Yes very. The EU specially (= Germany, France) is seeing their entire economy getting stuck as China is taking over.

Ah yes, the 'US/Sino Trade War'. A direct result of BRICS nations gradually dumping the petrodollar as a means of exchange. It's a war that only China can win - Unless the American population can be persuaded to substantially reduce their living standards. The US have only two strings to their bow. Tech expertise, and military hardware. China is gaining ground on the Tech side of things. - Which leaves the US with it's preferred option of military subjugation. The crank is just starting to turn...and there aren't enough voices with the required clout, to stop the incoming drums of war. Unfortunately, this time, the protagonists have the means to wipe out humanity in its present form. There is too much money involved for the Lawmakers to stop it.

Back