The New York Times believe Chinese military hacked their computers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new report from the New York Times claims hackers infiltrated their network for approximately four months, compromising multiple systems and targeting at least one journalist in the process. The paper believes the attacks were politically motivated and may have been conducted by the Chinese military.

The Times claim they received warnings from Chinese government officials after running an investigative piece that probed at the wealth of prime minister Wen Jiabano’s family. Upon receiving the warning, the Times put their ISP on alert to monitor for attacks. The same day the paper’s investigation was published, AT&T discovered signs of an attack that was consistent with other attacks carried out by the Chinese military.

AT&T was powerless in the fight, prompting the Times to hire private security firm Mandiant to take over. An analysis by the security firm found the attack was targeting the journalist responsible for the investigation into Jiabano’s relatives. The goal, they believe, was to uncover sources that had been used to collect information during the investigation.

The cyber attack reportedly began on September 13 as information was being collected for the story. The Times say the hackers might have used a spear-phishing attack to gain access to three computers. From there, they were able to crack passwords and gain access to dozens of other systems. At least 45 pieces of custom malware were implanted – only one was picked up by Symantec’s anti-virus software, they say.

The paper says the hackers have since been locked out of the system but they believe they will be targeted as part of future attacks.

Permalink to story.

This is why you shouldn't use an anti-virus application with a massive market share. It barely picks up viruses made by intelligent hackers.

Lol a newspaper would over exaggerate on who hacked them, but damn if its true that's crazy, you would think the finances of a prime minister of china would already be well known.... to bad the lack of caution on the new yorks times part likely resulted in the imprisonment or death of anyone in china who gave them information. If this is indeed true.

China is so shady, but I am no surprised. The United states does it as well although they do it for other reason.

Someday soon after all the guns are confiscated by robot terminators, all our electronics are going to self destruct and we'll be enslaved in FEMA camps while China sets up shop in the new Peoples Republic of America. *drinks some kool-aid*

I think the Chinese just wanted some good ideas on maintaining gun control, so they looked to New York as they know how good they are at destroying the second amendment.

Lol a newspaper would over exaggerate on who hacked them, but damn if its true that's crazy, you would think the finances of a prime minister of china would already be well known.... to bad the lack of caution on the new yorks times part likely resulted in the imprisonment or death of anyone in china who gave them information. If this is indeed true.

China's government is far form "open" about its true finances they claim a debt in the hundred billions, most financial experts have said there's no possible way that's true and some put there actual debt between 4-6 trillion (us dollar). I also hope any information the Chinese may have obtained doesn't lead to deaths in China.

Why am I not surprised at the arrogance of China?? They treat their own ppl like dirt and expect everyone to swallow the BS line that they are progressive. I remember reading a great book in highschool. It was "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buckman. It really gives you an incredibly deep insight into how China and its govt treat their own citizens. I feel very sorry for the ppl of China. If you are not the eliet upper class you have the misfortune of being born chinese and must suffer for their countries greed. This is just another instance of Chinas greed and arrogance.

Back