1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nokia 2.2 has a removable battery and is now available in the US for $139

By Humza ยท 12 replies
Jul 17, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. HMD continues to churn out Nokia phones targeted at the lower- and mid-tier market. There is also the Nokia 9 PureView with its five rear cameras, but coming in at under $700 means it's still a budget alternative to most modern flagships. While making standout features in expensive phones gets harder with each generation keeping in mind even loftier consumer expectations, budget phones usually delight when they punch above their weight with neat little touches, like the Nokia 2.2 does with its removable 3,000mAh battery.

Available at Amazon and Best Buy, the super cheap 4G LTE smartphone isn't going big in the processing department, but that's expected. It's powered by the MediaTek Helio A22 SoC, featuring 4 Cortex A53 cores running at 2Ghz, as opposed to the 1.4Ghz cores that come with the mid-tier Snapdragon 425. While the latter is made on a 28nm lithography process, the MediaTek chip is built on a more efficient 12nm process. There's also 3GB of RAM with 32GB of on-board storage and a microSD card slot for expansion.

The front rocks a 5.71-inch, 1570 x 720 IPS LCD display above which sits the 5MP front camera for your "selfie esteem" and a notch with rounded corners topping off the design. A 13MP camera on the rear uses advanced low-light imaging technology for better night-time photos.

There's no fingerprint scanner to be found on the phone, but the aforementioned selfie cam uses 2D face-unlock with machine learning for secure biometric logins. Instead of a USB-C, the phone has a microUSB 2.0 for interfacing and also features a 3.5mm headphone jack. It supports NFC for mobile payments and file sharing and there's also a dedicated physical key to activate Google Assistant.

The Nokia 2.2 running Android One is promising the upcoming Q update, with Best Buy to soon start physically selling the phone in its select "Big box" stores from August 4.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,105   +1,208

Looks like a win for Nokia. Has everything I want except fingerprint reader.

3. LDwaqZ

LDwaqZ TS Rookie

Both the "Amazon" and the "Best Buy" links actually point to Amazon only.

4. Hardware Geek

Hardware Geek TS Booster Posts: 98   +77

This could be exactly what I am looking for to get a phone for the kids. I don't need anything fancy, just a phone they can use to call us on via messenger through the wifi at home. A home phone if you will. I haven't had one of those for almost 20 years now.

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,504   +3,897

FINALLY ..... a phone company that understands the value of producing a lower cost phone that has many of the features the big boys have ......

6. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 1,735   +825

Nice that is a really good deal... I might really consider buying one.

Now can we get a 4" or 4.5" screen with all the same stuff but a smaller battery for $99?

7. Humza

Humza TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 316   +140

Oops, should be fixed now :)

cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. lexster

lexster TS Guru Posts: 535   +265

Nokia seems to be returning to form after the getting out from under Microsoft.. Very cool!

JaredTheDragon likes this.
  9. HofyPC

HofyPC TS Rookie

Wow! Almost exactly what I want. I have no need for a face unlock or Google Assistant.

JaredTheDragon likes this.
  10. Axiarus

Axiarus TS Evangelist Posts: 473   +272

You can install your own ROM to get rid of assistant.

11. lexster

lexster TS Guru Posts: 535   +265

Or just disable/uninstall it.

12. Markoni35

Markoni35 TS Addict Posts: 245   +113

Nokia 3310 FTW!!

13. haiduong87

haiduong87 TS Rookie

I want this too, it's hard to find a regular size phone today...

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...