The Nokia 3.1 Plus is tough to beat at just $160

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Finding a quality smartphone under $200 is no easy task but Nokia's 3.1 Plus looks to be a diamond in the rough. At just $160, this budget Android handset ticks a lot of the boxes you wouldn't expect at this price point and is finally available in the US.

I’ve long championed the use of MVNOs as a viable alternative to pricey mobile plans from the nation’s big four wireless carriers. Similarly, you can save a bundle on smartphone hardware if you’re willing to forego the major players’ flagships and lower expectations a bit. Case in point is the Nokia 3.1 Plus which recently found its way to Cricket Wireless, an AT&T MVNO (also available on Amazon).

The Nokia 3.1 Plus features a 5.99-inch HD+ display driven by Qualcomm’s octa-core Snapdragon 439 SoC that’s mated to 32GB of onboard storage (expandable via microSD card slot). A dual camera array (13-megapixel + 5-megapixel) handles photography duties around back while a single 8-megapixel front-facing shooter covers selfies and video calls.

The Nokia-branded handset packs a 3,500mAh battery that’s rated at up to two days of life. You also get USB Type-C connectivity, Bluetooth 4.2, a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor and Android 9 Pie.

Above all else, the Nokia 3.1 Plus is affordable as it retails for just $159.99. At that price, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better value on a new mobile device.

Cricket’s rate plans start at $30 per month for 2GB of high-speed (8 Mbps) data with no contracts, no overages and taxes included.

Permalink to story.

I am becoming hesitant to stay with android since Google acquired them. I am finding so many apps that now "require access to phone number, data files, etc, etc" in order to work right, despite the fact that they worked just fine BEFORE Google. Don't want to go back to Apple, but the choices are very limited. Might be time to ditch the smart phone and to back to a simple one only for phone calls .......

Um, if the MVNOs are cheaper, why are you paying $30 for just 2GB of data? The US needs better competition. In Ireland, 30 euro and no contract gets 25GB of data, unlimited texts and unlimited domestic calls from one of the main mobile operators (half that for the first 6 months). Our market has 3 big operators and a handful of MVNOs - the UK is probably a lot cheaper.

Um, if the MVNOs are cheaper, why are you paying $30 for just 2GB of data? The US needs better competition. In Ireland, 30 euro and no contract gets 25GB of data, unlimited texts and unlimited domestic calls from one of the main mobile operators (half that for the first 6 months). Our market has 3 big operators and a handful of MVNOs - the UK is probably a lot cheaper.
No doubt...

Two other companies come to mind that offer better deals than that, Mint Mobile and Republic Wireless, both of which are using TMobile's network I believe. I've used both of them and was quite happy.

I am becoming hesitant to stay with android since Google acquired them. I am finding so many apps that now "require access to phone number, data files, etc, etc" in order to work right, despite the fact that they worked just fine BEFORE Google. Don't want to go back to Apple, but the choices are very limited. Might be time to ditch the smart phone and to back to a simple one only for phone calls .......
Might want to check your dates because this makes no sense...Google purchased Android Inc. in 2005... Years before Android smartphones...

Not sure if this nokia 3.1 plus is really hard to beat. in so far as Philippine market is concerned, xiaomi is starting to get noticed. an older model, mi a1 (SD625, 4GB/64GB, ~3000mah battery, nougat 7.1.1 ootb, upgradeable to android 9, android one), was available at 5999php during December 12, 2018 '12/12' online sale. a newer model, mi a2 lite (SD625, ~4000mah battery, android 8.1 ootb, upgradeable to android 9, android one), was available at 10990php during the same 12/12 sale. ~54php = 1$ u.s.

also, after 3-4 months in the market, xiaomi tends to lower prices.

the advantage of nokia in the Philippines is the availability of stocks in local authorized stores in many small and big cities compared to xiaomi with physical stores only in the national capital region and only a 'few' selected stores outside metro manila.

Google is the creator of Android. It didn't acquire it, it created android from android 1.0. Therefore, it has always owned the Android OS!

Google is the creator of Android. It didn't acquire it said:
@KrysGraemn1449, Wikipedia says:
"Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google. It is based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software, and is designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets"

In my opinion Android was only developed /adapted not created by Google, using the works of Linux kernel and other open sources developers. Google didn't created Androit from scratch, in this way they can't take the full credit for this.

Last edited:
Back