The Radeon HD 4890 or a GTX 275

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hi guys!

I've recently been contemplating on changing my GPU. It's an XFX 9800GT and holds its own quite well when using DX 9.

I'll be switching to Windows 7 sometime soon and would like a new GPU. For all purposes, the Radeon HD 5850 will be beyond my budget. So, I've narrowed it down to 2 cards: Palit GTX 275 or PowerColor HD 4890.

Most of the reviews I've read seem to put the GTX 275 on top. However, I'd like to know whether the newer Catalyst drivers have upped the performance for the HD 4890. Both cards cost about the same here. Which is a better performer in terms of raw FPS, power consumption and temperatures?

I must mention that I'm running an AMD platform with a Phenom II X3 720 and ASUS M4A78T-E. My PSU is a Cooler Master Extreme Power 600W which I intend to use for now. That's why I'm concerned with power consumption.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks.

You could wait and see what Nvidia has in stores with Fermi in Q1 2010. That might also make AMD drop the price on some of the 5xxx series which might jump into your budget :) . I guess waiting depends on if there is a new game you want the GPU for...personally I need to completely build from the ground up a new PC before BF Bad Company 2 comes out. That game looks so awesome!

when they first were released, the 275 and the 4890 were within a few frames of each other. if they are within 10% of each other (and they are) i opt for the ATI solution. the reason being the superior Driver support. ATI has a history of improving performance upwards of 25% in the following 6 months of release. also ATI continues to support the 4800 series, and I think if you read between the lines (this is my opinion only) that Nvidia is not going to vigorously support the 200 series after the release of Fermi.
if power consumption is a big concern however, the 275 takes a substantially less draw under load than the 4890. on the other hand the 4890 does run significantly cooler than the 275.

red1776 said:
the 275 takes a substantially less draw under load than the 4890

I thought that under load the power consumption of both are almost identical with the Radeon being slightly better. On idle though the GTX 275 does much better.

I'm leaning towards the ATI, but I'm still slightly confused.

@ red1776 - Have you noticed significant improvements with newer Catalyst drivers on your system?

And will my 600W PSU with about 70% efficiency handle either GPU?

Nope. The Powercolor. I really like XFX. Infact the 9800GT I just replaced was by XFX. However, in India the Powercolor is about Rs. 4000 - 5000 cheaper.

i really like the 4890 over the gtx 275 one reason being the 4890 is far cheaper and performs as well as a gtx 285 when overclocked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back