The Relay is a screenless walkie-talkie built for tracking and communicating with your...

Polycount

Staff

If you're a parent who prefers to keep smartphones and tablets out of your kids' hands, you might worry about losing the ability to keep tabs on their location and communicate with them at any given time. If so, Republic Wireless has you covered. The company has unveiled an intriguing new screenless device dubbed the "Relay."

This small square gadget has clearly been designed with families in mind. It features one-button communication and built-in GPS tracking features, the later of which is accessible via the Relay's companion app.

The Relay includes 4G LTE and WiFi connectivity, allowing users to contact family members at the press of a button via Google Assistant. The device also offers voice-activated games, music playback functionality (with a 3.5mm headphone jack), roughly three days of battery life and the ability to answer most questions (also courtesy of Google Assistant).

Though the Relay is undoubtedly intended for families, the device could also be a tempting buy for outdoor enthusiasts thanks to its distraction-free nature and durable, water-resistant construction.

If you're interested in grabbing a Relay for yourself, the device will launch sometime in early 2018. A two-pack will cost $149 upon release with a $6.99 monthly service charge per device. You can also opt to purchase a single relay for $99 or three Relays for $199.

Permalink to story.

Seems rather expensive when I can buy an actual smartphone for the same price. I know that isn't the point here but come on... price needs to be lower than that.

Besides, no kid is going to want to carry this thing around to talk to mommy and daddy. They wanna look like all the cool kids with an iPhone 8 and full internet access.

Monthly service charge? For what? That to me kills the deal. Paying for a device is one thing, but paying another $84 a year just to have it work is ridiculous.

Besides, no kid is going to want to carry this thing around to talk to mommy and daddy. They wanna look like all the cool kids with an iPhone 8 and full internet access.

Perhaps true, but kids don't always get what they want.

Good concept, simple design. Pricey.
It will make a great skipping stone for kids (or their friends) to throw across the nearest large body of water.

Something like this would work perfectly for my family. I don't have kids, but I take care of both of my parents full time, 24/7. Both of them are prone to falling, and have severe COPD. To me, this is A LOT cheaper than life alert, or similar product's monthly fees of $20-$50. If I'm picking up groceries at the store or I'm working on something outside and something happens to them where they can't make it to a phone, they can alert me or 911. I'll take two.

Back