The Sims 4 Review: Now with emotions and multitasking ...and some missing features

Jos

Staff

sims review

The Sims 4 is a big game. But like any so-called life simulator, it only seems that way when you add up its countless tiny bits and pieces into one giant mosaic. Actually playing the game feels like you're both telling and watching a series of private, intimate stories.

The drama of my Sim's (a.k.a. Fred Bob) life probably sounds dull, even to my fellow Sims players. It is boring to everybody but me, which is part of the game's special charm. But just describing the steps Fred has taken so far in his first few days on this Earth doesn't capture how much of a feat it was to get him to where he is today. In addition to the new and improved character creator, EA made two changes in The Sims 4 that have a dramatic impact on what playing this game actually feels like: emotions and multitasking.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of age and gender is it for? Some of the pictures are really freaking, like waking next to a dude with red beard or taking a shower with all your clothes on. That's just wrong...

Couldn't help but chuckle at the animated GIF of the guy running on a treadmill in the gym. So now we sit out fat asses down, pop a bag of chips and let out avatars do the exercising. I guess Wall-E's future is closer now than ever :)

Your conclusion is that the game is still enjoyable despite what the developers have done (or not done) to cripple it. Sounds like damning with faint praise to me. No doubt there will be numerous dlc packs for users to purchase and purchase...and I'll undoubtedly be one of those users... The EA philosophy seems to be that they expect you to keep paying for extra content and fixes for a game that wasn't up to much on release *cough* Battlefield 4 *cough* until it's how it should've been presented in the first place. "Charge what the market will tolerate".

Perhaps a more honest approach would be for EA to add the word BETA to their initial releases.

I think by now everyone should know what to expect from EA..or rather, what NOT to expect?

Seems very similar to the MO used to develop the new Sim City. Shiny new engine, but far fewer features. The limitation of being bound to a single lot is similar to Sim City's ridiculously small map sizes. It's not a problem you notice right away, but once you hit that wall the game just seems pointless. And since it's baked into the engine, there will be no patches to fix it.

Sucks to still have such long loading times. I really like the character designs however.

I think Sims 4 is really good . Although there is stuff missing that was in 3 and before I feel people can be dishonest by not also mentioning all the good new feature's and improvements. The amount of social interaction's is impressive and you couldn't have expected so many and they all come with nice animations. The actual Sims themselves are miles ahead of previous games. Not to mention the excellent new build mode.

I actually don't miss the open world , it was worth getting rid of to have a lovely smooth game that seems far more busier and alive than the open world did most times. I've also not had a single problem or bug which is a vast improvement over 3.

Back