The specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive

Ok. So I was installing Ubuntu (11.10) on my laptop which had 4 partitions, one of which was my general Media/Files partition. While it was resizing in Gparted, computer froze and of course now its all jacked up upon restart. Gparted (in Live CD) tells me to run chkdsk /f and reboot twice.

After trying Testdisk and finally find a XP disk, get it to work and enter recovery console. There is no /f option but aparently /r implies /f. I run chkdsk /r and i simply get back the message:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

Please tell me there is something I can do to. I have an external here that I am borrowing, at the very least I would like to get my files on it and just format the drive and start over.

HELP!

Please tell me there is something I can do to. I have an external here that I am borrowing, at the very least I would like to get my files on it and just format the drive and start over.

Seems like you answered your own question. Slave the drive (jumper settings should be on the drive) and pull off what you need...Files, Drivers, Photos, etc...
Format....Install Windows...update drivers. Im also assuming you have a working computer that you can attach the slave drive to and that you have some knowledge in this area. If you need more detailed help I will need more specific questions. If you haven't reformatted your drive in some time you will also notice increased performance boost (bonus!).

Ok so here we are...

I have my latptop drive hooked up to my parent's desktop (running XP) through the usB ( i went out and bought one of those SATA/IDE to USB adapters)

It pulls up my two NTFS partitions but some of the directories are corrupt...and sure enought those are the ones I want to access primarily..

thoughts on where to go from here?

Try running Error Check on the drive and see what the report says. Right-click the drive>>>Properties>>>Tools>>>Error Checking. Select the option to fix errors.

Okie Dok

I have had that going for a bit now, the bar is filled on phase 2 and has been for a while now but I am just letting it run

Ok I let it go over night and it made it to "Phase 4" and then gave an error message that it was unable to complete...

Ok I let it go over night and it made it to "Phase 4" and then gave an error message that it was unable to complete...

I think you're S.O.L on this one. You can try a data recovery program if there are important files that are worth retrieving but it's not a 100% guarantee that it will work.

Well thanks so much anyways...it was worth a try. I ran it again just to be hopeful so keeping my fingers crossed...

anyways, thanks again!

Back