The Trump administration is reportedly considering a government-backed 5G network (updated)

Polycount

Staff

Update: Recode is reporting that the documents in question are outdated and the issue had merely been floated by a staff member. The original story is below.

The White House is clearly been focused on increasing security. A few weeks ago, cell phone use among staff and guests was controversially banned in the West Wing. Now, Trump's security team is looking into "building a super-fast 5G wireless network," according to Reuters.

The key difference between these two security measures is scale. While the former has only applied to White House staff and guests, a government-backed 5G network would be "the 21st century equivalent of the Eisenhower National Highway System," an internal White House memo indicates.

According to the report, the implementation of such a network is being discussed at a "low level" in the Trump administration. The goal of such a decision -- if successful -- would be to address "China's threat" to US cyber and economic security.

One of Reuters' sources, a "senior administration official," explained:

"We want to build a network so the Chinese can't listen to your calls. We have to build a secure network that doesn't allow bad actors to get in. We also have to ensure the Chinese don't take over the market and put every non-5G network out of business."

Upon discovering this information, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai was quick to come out against the concept of a government-run cellular network. "I oppose any proposal for the federal government to build and operate a nationwide 5G network," Pai said. "...What government can and should do is to push spectrum into the commercial marketplace and set rules that encourage the private sector to develop and deploy next-generation infrastructure."

Pai's fears may be unfounded, however. At the moment, there's no guarantee this potential network will ever become a reality. As Reuters notes, it could take six to eight months before the proposal even crosses President Trump's desk and far longer for it to be officially implemented.

Permalink to story.

This sounds more like Trump saying, "why can't I get my phone on a 5G network here?" Someone then telling Trump that "we don't have a secure 5G network here"... And he answered with "We should have our own!"

And then some reporter deciding that means that the White House is considering building their own nation-wide 5G network....

This is the problem with taking everything Trump says as actual news... you get a bunch of crap...

I can't imagine anything more disastrous than the government trying to run this .... haven't we seen enough of their true hearts and minds with the Net Neutrality debacle?

Building a virtual wall? ;)

Put us in a U.S.-controlled network to block a China-controlled network? Uh, no thanks.

This sounds more like Trump saying, "why can't I get my phone on a 5G network here?" Someone then telling Trump that "we don't have a secure 5G network here"... And he answered with "We should have our own!"

And then some reporter deciding that means that the White House is considering building their own nation-wide 5G network....

This is the problem with taking everything Trump says as actual news... you get a bunch of crap...

But if Obama had said it, it would have been gospel? Of course, with what is coming out now about the FBI, not sure I want the government controlling it. Same as everything else. Keep government out of our personal lives. They are there to fund the military to keep our country safe.

But if Obama had said it, it would have been gospel? Of course, with what is coming out now about the FBI, not sure I want the government controlling it. Same as everything else. Keep government out of our personal lives. They are there to fund the military to keep our country safe.
No... My point was that Obama would never have said it... and Trump almost certainly DIDN'T say it... he probably said it tongue-in-cheek like he says all sorts of inane things daily... which then get reported on as "News"...

5G spy on citizens network is more like it.

And yet, when it's broadband and they call it 'Net Neutrality' everyone loves the idea of the govt being in control.
Even as "right" as you are, you do realize that NN had nothing to do with setting up a government controlled network such as this 5G government controlled network that private carriers would then rent space from - at least I would hope that you realize this.

Fair use rules to be followed by private carriers are a far different thing from private carriers renting space on a network set up and run by the government. Surely, even those on the "right" would be against this.

But I forgot, the "right" has nothing against drama.

Last edited:
Corporate controlled networks suck. They are only worried about making money. They will monitor and control your traffic. They only make customers as happy as competition forces them too.

Government controlled networks suck harder. They are only worried about maintaining power. They will monitor and control your traffic. They have no competition.

I bet it's all a lie, they just need to start looking a little popular because mid term elections are right around the corner.

Back