The War Z taken offline after user data compromised in server breach

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After disappointing many folks with a rocky debut in December, The War Z is making negative headlines again. According to a notice plastered where its game forum used to reside, hackers have gained access to the company's message board and game databases, including the player data in those locations.

In its notification, the developer says compromised user data includes email addresses used for forum logins, encrypted forum passwords, emails and encrypted passwords for the game itself, as well as in-game character names and the IP addresses from which players access the forum and the game.

Any other information supplied on forum accounts was likely swiped too, though the company doesn't collect names or addresses. Also, while the developer is still investigating if anything else was taken, there's supposedly zero chance that the hackers touched players' financial information because all payments are made through a third party outfit.

While your credit card details may be safe, you should probably change the password(s) on affected War Z accounts and any other services that use the same email and password -- especially your email account itself. The developer notes that internal research has revealed many players are using weak passwords that could potentially be cracked.

Experts have been brought in to help and have already plugged several holes the hackers used to gain access. As part of the ongoing investigation, both the forum and game servers have been taken offline and there's no word on when they'll be restored. Any extended downtime is bound to frustrate players and The War Z may not have many fans to spare.

Permalink to story.

Has it improved at all? it sounded like a fun game in concept. Read what was wrong with it though. is it any better at this point?

I wish I could get my money back too and a hour of my life. Absolute garbage. I did like the menu music though.

I wish I could get my money back too and a hour of my life. Absolute garbage. I did like the menu music though.

I play menu music on one particular PS3 game every time it's idle, so like $3 would be worth it. :D

Don't hate the game its good its made by a indie that has only made one game so don't see why you all are expecting EA type funding with amazing quality and no problems its like you havent even played the game.

I love the game there are a few small things here and there but overall its a good game try it!

Don't hate the game its good its made by a indie that has only made one game so don't see why you all are expecting EA type funding with amazing quality and no problems its like you havent even played the game.

I love the game there are a few small things here and there but overall its a good game try it!

I don't think it's that and you seem very defensive. Must be because you feel cheated, and trying to make all you can out of your money. Sorry but it's not because of that, you need to look at the bigger picture. There's nothing good about the game honestly, and just wish Steam would strip it forever.

It's tarnishing the service by keeping it there. :p

I don't think it's that and you seem very defensive. Must be because you feel cheated, and trying to make all you can out of your money. Sorry but it's not because of that, you need to look at the bigger picture. There's nothing good about the game honestly, and just wish Steam would strip it forever.

Please don't troll its not needed, why would I feel cheated? I payed $15 which is nothing to me for a game me and my friends enjoy sure the private server cost is a bit steep but I'm not paying it so don't see why your going all "Dayz" fanboy like.

Please don't troll its not needed, why would I feel cheated? I payed $15 which is nothing to me for a game me and my friends enjoy sure the private server cost is a bit steep but I'm not paying it so don't see why your going all "Dayz" fanboy like.

Do I have to point out the obvious? Developers promised so much and delivered so little, that is why many hate the game, in a nutshell.

I'm not a DayZ fanboy yet I can see this game for what it blatantly is: a terrible attempt at stealing DayZ's thunder. This game yielded absolutely terrible reviews. I, myself, almost bought it because I thought they just changed the name "DayZ" to "WarZ". Upon very little research, it was apparent that the only thing "alright" about this game were the graphics. Even still, they were no Crysis.

Wow you guys seriously don't understand what a Alpha is do you? No game on this planet has got all those features in it in Alpha which is also when the reviews started... Arma 3 is terrible but its in Alpha so should I just plainly say its the worlds worst game?

Very little amount of games are actually up to Crysis graphically and how did they stole it? are you telling me the film maker of Warz also stole the name from either Warz or Dayz? or is it the other way around.

Personally I like the game I have no problem with the game except a few things but I can let that slide due to the fact its a indie thats only had experience making 1 game so cant really say they are as experienced as crytek plus they didn't make a mod for Arma they made a actual game big difference.

Wow you guys seriously don't understand what a Alpha is do you? No game on this planet has got all those features in it in Alpha which is also when the reviews started... Arma 3 is terrible but its in Alpha so should I just plainly say its the worlds worst game?

Very little amount of games are actually up to Crysis graphically and how did they stole it? are you telling me the film maker of Warz also stole the name from either Warz or Dayz? or is it the other way around.

Personally I like the game I have no problem with the game except a few things but I can let that slide due to the fact its a indie thats only had experience making 1 game so cant really say they are as experienced as crytek plus they didn't make a mod for Arma they made a actual game big difference.

this sounds like a warZ dev/mod in disguise.

I didnt buy the game, nor is it my type of game, but when I saw it advertised around the internet on/before its release, I did not see the word "alpha" anywhere. Just saying. Trying to sell an alpha without features you said it had is *****ic. Then again, buying an alpha and expecting to have a fun time isnt very smart either.

Have you tried the Arma 3 Alpha? I bought WarZ because they claimed to have had it in development way before DayZ (they claimed it has been in dev for 2 years). Don't get me wrong, DayZ is a decent mod but the playerbase is the part I really don't like. Anyways, WarZ is a complete waste of money. The head designer is even the creator of one of the worst games out (European Truck Simulator) or something like that. If you want to throw away $15 or whatever it is now for a game that will probably never be taken out of development and have an insane amount of hackers then go ahead.

this sounds like a warZ dev/mod in disguise.
lol I wish but anyway I just don't like it when people act like Warz is meant to come with everything out of the box a game that has no problems, no hackers, no bugs or glitches when in fact its should and it has more than the usual big studio game has simply because its a indie and I accepted that fact I also accepted that it is a Possibility that dayz/warz stole there name off one another or off the film warz but then again I'm not a cry baby so I don't care.

I like the game sure it needs improvements but comparing a easy to made buggy mod with lots of problems/hackers to a fully blown standalone game which is pretty hard to make with reasonably same amount of problems but I'd say 5-10% less hackers is pretty much invalid specially as ones easy to make and ones not plus dayz has mediocre zombie AI where as Warz has AI a little more realistic than Dayz zombies do.

I didnt buy the game, nor is it my type of game, but when I saw it advertised around the internet on/before its release, I did not see the word "alpha" anywhere. Just saying. Trying to sell an alpha without features you said it had is *****ic. Then again, buying an alpha and expecting to have a fun time isnt very smart either.

I think minecraft REALLY changed the market on this one, indie games were never usually released until they were finished or at LEAST they let the community in on the beta test. With minecraft coming out in ALPHA and it being a very solid game at that point in time a lot more companies started doing this with less than desired results.

Back