The Witcher 3 next-gen update includes PC-exclusive Ultra+ graphics setting

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: You might have spent over 100 hours completing the Witcher 3 and its expansions a few years ago, but the upcoming next-gen update could tempt former players to return to the fantasy world, especially as the PC version comes with an exclusive Ultra+ graphics setting.

More than two years since CD Projekt Red announced a next-gen version of the Witcher 3 was in the works, the highly-anticipated update arrives tomorrow (December 14) at 1 AM CET for PC & Xbox Series X/S and midnight local time for PlayStation 5.

The Witcher 3 is still a gorgeous-looking game despite being released in 2015, and the new update adds a slew of graphical improvements, including ray-traced global illumination, reflections, and shadows, as well as ambient occlusion. It also includes a number of community mods and mod-inspired content to improve the visuals and game quality.

The PC version of the update gets an exclusive Ultra+ graphics setting. It affects several elements, including the number of background characters, foliage visibility range, and detail levels. It also improves the quality of shadow, grass, terrain, water, and texture.

Those with an RTX 4090 or RTX 4080 will be able to enable DLSS 3.0 in the game, which will help push those 4K framerates even higher. AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) 2.1 is another new addition, as is photo mode.

The update also brings numerous quality-of-life improvements, such as a Quick Sign Casting option that allows signs to be switched without opening the radial menu, a new map filter for hiding specific icons, instantly lootable herbs, and an improved radial menu so bombs, bolts, and pocket items can be switched dynamically without opening the inventory.

Gameplay changes include combat rebalancing and fixes, and there's additional content inspired by the Netflix series, including an all-new side quest in Velen called In The Eternal Fire's Shadow.

The complete list of patch notes is extensive. You can read all the changes and updates here, though CD Projekt Red says they are just the highlights.

Permalink to story.

Can we stop calling Frame Generation "DLSS 3".
DLSS+FG maybe?
It's still something that has to be enabled after enabling DLSS 3 itself. It isn't just one thing. If DLSS 3 isn't actually better looking visually than DLSS 2 then it should just be called DLSS 2+FG. I still haven't seen anyone make that comparison of DLSS 2 vs DLSS 3 without FG for any discernable difference, probably because it's not there and the use of 3 without FG was just pure marketing BS. 3 is not 2. 3 is more than 2. More is better than less.

I would swear they must be paid to add those modes. So we can all run out and buy two thousand euro hardware to play games that we finished six years ago.

Possibly, problem is there are people out that that want the modes to begin with...

"Stress my system, what can I spend money on next!"

Maybe my memory is off and it wasn't my favorite game but I don't see much improvement here....

I would swear they must be paid to add those modes. So we can all run out and buy two thousand euro hardware to play games that we finished six years ago.

That's probably part of it. Another part is after that CP 2077 debacle they want to rebuild goodwill, so they can market their next game and take advantage of that. Bioware has been cashing out on goodwill for ages now, it might have finally failed with Anthem. So you can really milk that if you try. Releasing an update to a well received 7 year old game is easier than actually fixing CP 2077 or making a new quality game.

I’m sure Nvidia “sponsored” the work in some way. Nobody is forced to play it though. If people want to spend 2000 euros on a graphics card just to play a spiffier version of Witcher 3 that’s their call.

DLSS+FG maybe?
It's still something that has to be enabled after enabling DLSS 3 itself. It isn't just one thing. If DLSS 3 isn't actually better looking visually than DLSS 2 then it should just be called DLSS 2+FG. I still haven't seen anyone make that comparison of DLSS 2 vs DLSS 3 without FG for any discernable difference, probably because it's not there and the use of 3 without FG was just pure marketing BS. 3 is not 2. 3 is more than 2. More is better than less.

The visual difference between DLSS 2.2 and DLSS 3 is very little..... nearly unperceivable. DLSS 3's selling point (marketing point) was fake frames... that nobody asked for, or wanted.

I love this game enough to almost want to now upgrade from my i7 8700 and RTX 3070, almost... not quite there though. Maybe next gen.

@Prosercunus Not worth currently. DX12 is an absolute mess.
RT looks nice but hardly works well. Without RT DX12 is still very bad here.
DX11 runs much much smoother and faster at the same settings as DX12 RT off.

@Prosercunus Not worth currently. DX12 is an absolute mess.
RT looks nice but hardly works well. Without RT DX12 is still very bad here.
DX11 runs much much smoother and faster at the same settings as DX12 RT off.

This. At the same settings and resolution, DX12 is 10-15% slower than DX11. And that's *before* RT is turned on.

So, basically its got a '4090 Mode'.
The article states:

"The update also brings numerous quality-of-life improvements, such as a Quick Sign Casting option that allows signs to be switched without opening the radial menu, a new map filter for hiding specific icons, instantly lootable herbs, and an improved radial menu so bombs, bolts, and pocket items can be switched dynamically without opening the inventory.

Gameplay changes include combat rebalancing and fixes, and there's additional content inspired by the Netflix series, including an all-new side quest in Velen called In The Eternal Fire's Shadow."

There are plenty of free goodies here for all fans, graphical enhancements aside.

DLSS+FG maybe?
Who has claimed that DLSS 3 looks better? From what I've read, Nvidia is simply stating that it can produce even higher framerates than DLSS 2.

If you read the article carefully you will see that there are gameplay enhancements and extra content that have nothing to do with your graphics card performance. They've added an extra quality mode, not upped the minimum requirements to play this game. Nobody's asking you to go out and spend a dime. And it's FREE.

Don't complain about free things in life. Just say thank you or no thank you.

@ddferrari calling it DLSS 3 implies that there's a totally new version of DLSS that has made it past v2.X that only works on 4000 series. If this isn't the case then they are just making it confusing for the sake of being new. If it's still the same ol DLSS then just call it that +FG. The terms get thrown around like they're same exact thing.

On my PC, this update immediately crashes upon loading the level from a save if RT + DLSS is turned on. Works OK with RT off. (GOG version, R9 3900X, RTX3060, and latest Geforce Studio driver)

I'm going back to Legacy 1.32 version for the time being.

Installed and played. Is it better looking? Yeah, but not so much that I spent the majority of my time gawking instead of playing. RT seems to be more impressive in modern settings like CP2077 where you have a lot more reflective surfaces. The biggest improvement for me? Instant loot herbs. Why we needed a pop up for one item every time was beyond me.

@azicat I had a similar problem. Change a setting in the graphics menu before loading your save. Any setting will do. Maybe shadows or grass or something. It doesn't really matter what you pick. Then load.

Back