The Xbox Series S is Microsoft's best-selling console in some key markets

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: It's no secret that the PS5 has hammered the Xbox Series family when it comes to sales, but how are the two variants of Microsoft's console performing against each other? Somewhat surprisingly, the lesser-powered Xbox Series S is outselling the XBSX in several key markets.

Ampere Analytics looked at sales data from the 11 months since the latest Xbox consoles went on sale and found that the Xbox Series S is outperforming the Xbox Series X, with the caveat that this is only in "several key markets."

A total of 6.7 million Xbox Series X/S consoles had been sold by the end of September, though Ampere never gave a breakdown of how many sales belonged to each variant. According to GamesIndustry.biz, the consoles have a 50/50 split in terms of install base across major territories.

Unlike the digital version of the PS5, which is the same console minus a disc drive, the Xbox Series S is a cut-down version of the Series X, in both specs and size, targeting 1440p gaming rather than native 4K.

The Xbox Series S has been selling so well for two reasons: An MSRP $200 lower than the XBSX; and it hasn't been suffering the same supply issues as its more powerful sibling.

In September last year, Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon predicted that the Series S would become the best-selling next-gen Xbox. The same forecast was also made by head of Xbox Phil Spencer. It's starting to look as if they could be proved right.

The success of the Xbox Series S has seen digital titles make up a considerable percentage of Xbox game sales, more so than the PS5. Over 90% of sales of Call of Duty: Vanguard on Xbox came as a digital download, according to GSD.

The PlayStation 5 had outsold the Xbox Series X/S by almost double during the same September-end period, shifting 12.8 million units. The Nintendo Switch, which has been available for three years, had sold 89.7 million units. However, improved availability has seen the PS5 outselling the Switch in Europe recently by "some distance," according to Ampere, and Sony's console was the best-selling hardware platform in September 2021 in terms of both units and dollars generated, the first time a console other than the Switch led the market.

Permalink to story.

Series S outselling X is no surprise - if I wanted to buy an S, I could easily do so since it‘s always available in my market. Series X - Big nope.

X using the same APU as Microsoft‘s cloud gaming servers may be one contributing factor.

Sadly though, I want the X but can‘t find one.

I think the Series S was a great idea considering that 4K television adoption is still lagging, many people just don't see the need or the difference. And really, unless you have an extremely large set or you are extremely close, it is really hard to tell.

However, I would have liked to have seen the S just a little bit more powerful so that it was always able to otherwise achieve parity, but at a lower resolution. The fact that some games have to remove other features, like RT, means that the disparity between the two system will likely grow going forward. S should have been about 30% more powerful IMHO.

I expected nothing else from sony fanboys that will continue as a matter of habit flocking to inferior platform until they finally start realizing what a mess ps5 and sony overall these days is. It's like seeing sony back in its awful ps3 era.

I think the Series S was a great idea considering that 4K television adoption is still lagging, many people just don't see the need or the difference. And really, unless you have an extremely large set or you are extremely close, it is really hard to tell.

However, I would have liked to have seen the S just a little bit more powerful so that it was always able to otherwise achieve parity, but at a lower resolution. The fact that some games have to remove other features, like RT, means that the disparity between the two system will likely grow going forward. S should have been about 30% more powerful IMHO.
I would agree honestly if I was a kid and not a PC gamer etc I would get a Series S. and I don't think it needs to try for 1440P I think it should always have been advertised at 1080p trying for 60fps (with 4k video)

As much as I know many people out there have them think about steam surveys for people that came with 4K yes there may be more TVs out there but most people are still only able to game at 1080P and I don't think that will change hugely until the end of this generation

I have no idea why MS decided to clock the GPU side of the chip so low, as well as lowball the RAM amount. The system should have been able to run any Xbox One X enhanced title from day one, but sadly the amount of RAM is largely the lacking feature here. It should have been 16GB, but would have taken 12GB.

GPU clocks could have easily been upwards of 2.2Ghz. IMO the SoC isn't the issue, it is poor choices around it. 1.56Ghz is a damn shame if you ask me. I also would really like to see a optional Disc version of the S, preferably via USB.

XSX simply cant be made fast enough, and using the same SoC for their cloud service doesn't help. But I'm sure SoC demand isn't the only thing holding back production. The idea for a Lower end option that is able to play all the same games was a great idea, I too wish it was 100% identical other than resolution.

As a machine designed primarily for Gamepass usage, it makes a great device regardless.

Series S outselling X is no surprise - if I wanted to buy an S, I could easily do so since it‘s always available in my market. Series X - Big nope.

X using the same APU as Microsoft‘s cloud gaming servers may be one contributing factor.

Sadly though, I want the X but can‘t find one.
Yeah, being the "best selling" in this market is an indicator of supply, not quality. PS4s in sufficient suppyl could easily outsell the S simply by being on store shelves.

I agree that the S needs to be a bit more powerful, and the RAM should be the same regardless of speed. The big issue for me is the lack of Blu ray drive. My console is also my media player, I watch movies, I play games for older systems, and thebackwards compatibility of the series goes right out the window without that disk drives.

Also, there needs to be an option to install a larger or second M.2 drive internally, not this stupid overpriced memory card BS. That is one thing sony has gotten consistently right since the PS3. Why MS is so opposed to it I have no idea.

As it stands, I have a launch model PS4, and will probably get a PS5 slim in a few years oonce a cheaper (and smaller) model comes out, that is if sony can crank out some mor eexclusive reasons to own such a system. After the dissapointing launch of the PS4, I'm not jumping onto a new console until I see lots of good exclusives, anything MS makes I can just play on my PC.

Yeah, being the "best selling" in this market is an indicator of supply, not quality. PS4s in sufficient suppyl could easily outsell the S simply by being on store shelves.

I agree that the S needs to be a bit more powerful, and the RAM should be the same regardless of speed. The big issue for me is the lack of Blu ray drive. My console is also my media player, I watch movies, I play games for older systems, and thebackwards compatibility of the series goes right out the window without that disk drives.

Also, there needs to be an option to install a larger or second M.2 drive internally, not this stupid overpriced memory card BS. That is one thing sony has gotten consistently right since the PS3. Why MS is so opposed to it I have no idea.

As it stands, I have a launch model PS4, and will probably get a PS5 slim in a few years oonce a cheaper (and smaller) model comes out, that is if sony can crank out some mor eexclusive reasons to own such a system. After the dissapointing launch of the PS4, I'm not jumping onto a new console until I see lots of good exclusives, anything MS makes I can just play on my PC.
Sony has me in a tough spot, I knew what microsoft was planning with their games and wanting them all on xboxes AND pc.

Nintendo never shares its games to pc or anywhere else so you need a switch to enjoy them.

Sony though, the big titles are coming to ps5 and PC, so for me why buy a ps5? sure the pc versions wont hit for 2yrs or so but theyll probably be feature complete editions when they finally hit so I can wait, also with gamepass, if your a pc gamer then gamepass covers all the smaller games too, snag a series s and you can play them all.

as someone who has every playstation including the vita and pstv, the ps5 just isnt appealing once they said exclusives are goin to pc.

Sony has me in a tough spot, I knew what microsoft was planning with their games and wanting them all on xboxes AND pc.

Nintendo never shares its games to pc or anywhere else so you need a switch to enjoy them.

Sony though, the big titles are coming to ps5 and PC, so for me why buy a ps5? sure the pc versions wont hit for 2yrs or so but theyll probably be feature complete editions when they finally hit so I can wait, also with gamepass, if your a pc gamer then gamepass covers all the smaller games too, snag a series s and you can play them all.

as someone who has every playstation including the vita and pstv, the ps5 just isnt appealing once they said exclusives are goin to pc.
They'll port games, but only some of them. If you like the beige zombie survival motorcycle game I cant remember, or hairy dad of war 2, then great! But if you want the new ratchet and clank, well LMAO you are out of luck. Spiderman? Get Crunked.

Granted, with their behaviour of censoring games and pushing politics into their exclusives, I likely wont buy into it at the beginning of the generation, but at the end, when all the good games are cheap and the garbage has been thuroughly buried, the same way I played PS2, PS3, and should have played PS4.

No wonder, the S is 1/3 the price of X in alot of markets and most console gamers are casuals, meaning they don't care about the game running at 1080p or 1800p.

The big issue for me is the lack of Blu ray drive.

I too would like an option for a disc drive, even if it was an external USB connected device. It really would make for a perfect device to replace an older xbox one.

As for a replacement m.2, the main SSD is a M.2. I feel like at somepoint MS will open it up for replacement just like MS did for the Xbox One consoles. As you are free to replace a Xbox One or One X HDD with a larger unit no problem. You reinstall the OS the same way it is done on the PS4, pop in a USB with the firmware on it. I've replaced many PS4 and XB1 HDD's with 2TB Seagate Hybrid drives for people. It has been like that for years. Originally it wasn't built into the console to easily swap storage.

That being said currently the cost of the Storage Expansion card and a M.2 drive speced for the same performance is nearly the same. Luckily MS does plan to allow for 3rd party storage options. The slot is just a CFexpress slot, and the only thing stopping us from using CFexpress to m.2 is software.

I'm all for the CFexpress slot as a quick and easy way to expand storage, and honestly would rather have the ability in the future to replace the primary SSD with something larger. Which I hope MS does to follow suite to what they did with the Xbox One. ATM the MS Seagate deal is still in effect, but pricing for Gen4 SSDs are still high so not a huge deal.

Best thing you can do for your Xbox console is USB storage for anything not Xbox Series X/S. On my series X I have a USB SSD and a USB HDD. If I need those games to have the best loading times, USB HDD. If I just want them installed, USB HDD. My 1TB Internal fast storage is starting to get full, but I could easily archive the game if needed.

At this point, I would go with the PS5/PC combination. Not a big fan of Nintendo games anyway. Should be able to play most titles that would hit the XBOX on the PC side.

Back