Theaters to test the waters with retro blockbuster screenings

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: As Coronavirus lockdown orders start to relax in some regions, the conversation is naturally turning to how we can get back to some semblance of normalcy. The path for movie theaters to resume operations, however, is a bit more complex than it is for other businesses.

In addition to coercing reluctant moviegoers back to the box office, operators will have to grapple with the dilemma of what exactly to show on their screens.

Many major studios have halted filming and postponed the release of major motion pictures as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. You’d think this might create a log jam of movies that Hollywood would be ready to show at the first opportunity but apparently that isn’t the case.

Instead, exhibitors are reportedly being offered classic films like Jaws, Back to the Future and even Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho at discounted prices, perhaps as little as $2 to $5 per ticket. After all, most theaters make their money through overpriced concessions.

The idea, it seems, is to gauge consumers’ willingness to visit theaters as Coronavirus concerns linger. By screening classic films, Hollywood can get an idea of attendance without risking a big-budget failure. Granted, not everyone is going to rush out and fork over money to see something that is readily available on streaming platforms. Then again, some will no doubt attend simply to get out of the house while others could view it as a rare opportunity to take in a favorite on the big screen.

Image credit: Tyler Olson, Mark Agnor

Permalink to story.

"The idea, it seems, is to gauge consumers’ willingness to visit theaters as Coronavirus concerns linger."

I think you made a typo... "gauge" should be spelled "gouge"...

One good thing about all of this would be the collapse of the Hollywood machine.... alas, it probably won't...

I haven't enjoyed the theater atmosphere for years, too many arrogant, inconsiderate retards that frequent the theaters and cause issues. Constant talking, playing on phones, throwing things, switching seats....
Paying $15+ to see a movie only to be around a bunch of a-holes.....no thanks.

Nope. I gave up on the "movie theater" years ago. As stated above, too many a-holes that have to talk, have their phones on and WON'T BE QUIET. Along with overpriced popcorn and what not, you have to stand in line (unless you buy tickets in advance), drive to/back home, park and all that crap when I can watch it on my own big screen in my jammies, eathing my own snacks.

I actually like the concept of watching older classic movies in the movie theaters. However I would want them to premiere around 1:00am to around 8:00am. No teenagers would be allowed during these time slots. No children would be admitted either. They would allow people to watch all of the movies within those 7hrs. Admission of these matinees. Would include free quantities of popcorn and refreshments. All for one decent price of about $24. Or $30 to receive additional food items. Such as hotdogs, hamburgers, pizza, & pastries. Each guest would be required to pay 24 to 30. $60 up front per person. Would allow you to make 10 individual visits per month. Most movies would be from the mid 70s to the late 90s.

I haven't enjoyed the theater atmosphere for years, too many arrogant, inconsiderate retards that frequent the theaters and cause issues. Constant talking, playing on phones, throwing things, switching seats....

I would still go even with all the issues but I literally can't get anyone to go with me. Nobody else is remotely interested in theaters anymore, probably for the reasons you mentioned plus the ludicrous cost of snacks. I just can't sit in a movie by myself.

I would still go even with all the issues but I literally can't get anyone to go with me. Nobody else is remotely interested in theaters anymore, probably for the reasons you mentioned plus the ludicrous cost of snacks. I just can't sit in a movie by myself.
Even if you could watch 2 or 3 movies back to back? Personally I wouldn't mind watching at least 2 Superman films starring Christopher Reeve mainly Superman 2 & Superman 4 & any of the Police Academy movies I missed out on as a kid.

Well said!

Jurassic Park movies are better if watched at the movie theater. That's the only kind of movie I would watch while going out. Everything else can do on my 65 inch TV.

Honestly it's difficult to fully replicate the theater experience at home. I've been to see things like Blade Runner and T2 being re-run at theaters in the last few years and there is no substitute. I think this is a good thing.

Wow, I have less than zero interest to even be in a theater, for the most hyped and amazing film ever, let alone some old movie.

They do know many people have 65" or larger 4K HDR TV's with pretty awesome home surround.

I personally hate the theater experience. I do not like it at all. I only tolerate it once or twice a year to see a blockbuster with friends, but I would rather not got at all. Now with COVID, I'm done entirely with theater movies.

So a local theater back in the day had a 80's night where they'd screen a classic movie on Thursday's late for cheap. Always had a big showing from the high school students and university kids looking for a cheap movie.

It was also the first time I saw an original showing of Ghostbusters (damaged reel and all), and let me tell you, it was something magical. If the theaters of today would show "classics" or some of the bigger hitters, I would gladly go again. Nothing beats going to the theater, no matter the people who say home theater is good enough. It ain't, in my humble opinion.

Won't be going near these petri dishes until vaccine is widely available and it's made compulsory. Even if the movies are free I won't be going near them for a long time.

I saw the Die Hard 25th Annervisary at the Cinema and it was nice to experience a film that I had only watched at home. The Matrix would definitely be up there for me to watch at the Cinema.

I saw the Die Hard 25th Annervisary at the Cinema and it was nice to experience a film that I had only watched at home. The Matrix would definitely be up there for me to watch at the Cinema.
Matrix was my first thought as well. I wasn't quite old enough when it first came out.

Back