Thermal imaging shows the new iPad runs 10F warmer than iPad 2

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Thermal imaging has confirmed what many have been reporting since the launch of the new iPad on March 16 – Apple’s third generation tablet produces a good deal more heat than its predecessor. A thermal camera pointed at the back of each slate shows the new iPad runs 9.6 Fahrenheit (5.3 Celsius) warmer than last year’s model, according to the team at tweakers.net (Dutch).

Reports of a warmer iPad started pouring in soon after the tablet went on sale last Friday. Specifically, the bottom left corner (when held in standard portrait mode) tends to warm up when the iPad is being put to good use.

Some reports, like this one from the Atlantic Wire claim that the new iPad overheats and goes into an automatic cool-down mode. Granted, the users in question were all working under direct sunlight before the message appeared. The more common complaint seems to be just a warmer iPad in general – overheating claims appear to be rare.

Indeed, our own in-house iPad does get noticeably warmer than the iPad 2 under heavy use. I first noticed this when restoring a backup of the iPad 2 from iCloud and updating all of my apps from the App Store. The symptoms continued as I worked on multiple photos in iPhoto as part of our upcoming review. In my opinion, the added heat is noticeable but it hasn’t been a problem for me. The effects would likely be amplified if using a fully enclosed case. Of course, I wouldn’t take my iPad to the beach on a hot sunny day either.

It is believed that the new A5X SoC combined with the 70 percent larger battery is responsible for the extra warmth. Even under light use, the new iPad has to work harder to power the increased number of pixels found in the retina display.

Have you experienced any overheating issues with your new iPad?

Permalink to story.

oh no, the world is ending! /s

the "iCry" crowd will sure love that its a bit warmer so they can stupidly trash it. In the end, who cares? So what?

I would not touch that sh!t storm of a device. I prefer to not get third degree burns from my tech. Epic fail again from rotten fruit.

@mario
The article does not say it overheats. Only that it operates at a warmer temperature. As the article correctly points out there were CLAIMS of overheating but these were in direct sunlight in which case any device would overheat. It all seems very correct to me.

@Ranger12, it does finish suggesting it might: "Have you experienced any overheating issues with your new iPad?"

@mario I'm with Ranger, I see no need for a correction, maybe just an update with the quote "The new iPad delivers...well within our thermal specifications".

And this really shouldn't come as a surprise to most of us techies as heat is the biggest downer on all our toys. Looks like Apple fans have just been fortunate up to this point and likely never knew Apple products had such a limit. Assuming these thermal specifications between 0º and 35º C are the same for the new Ipad it does seem like it will create some annoyance for those in warmer climates who do use their iPads outdoors, and I hope it has a higher threshold.

wow. somebody sounds really jealous. Cant afford one?
Have to settle for an android?
get a job and quit whining

This isn't very surprising. The specs show approximately twice the battery capacity, but the same battery life as the iPad 2, meaning it draws about twice the power, hence more heat.

I have a pretty decent job, pays well..I still would never buy iShit.

Apple is fail - Always will be.

Guest said:
wow. somebody sounds really jealous. Cant afford one?
Have to settle for an android?
get a job and quit whining

How to spot an Apple fanboy:

Assumes if someone is dissing on Apple that they are "Jealous" and can't "Afford" one.

Now come to the truth and realization that if you actually want to do something useful you can get a cheap $100 android tablet that does 'almost' everything an iPad will do..

How to spot an Apple fanboy:

Assumes if someone is dissing on Apple that they are "Jealous" and can't "Afford" one.

Now come to the truth and realization that if you actually want to do something useful you can get a cheap $100 android tablet that does 'almost' everything an iPad will do..

Apple hardware is exceptional and the price is on the high side of high.

You are paying a somewhat rip off price for quality item but you can pay much less for a similar experience true and especially on the iphone people are being gouged

I have plenty of cash, but I would not get this Apple garbage even if you paid me.

I had plenty of Apple products when I was young and easily swayed by ******. They were all **** compared to most tech I now own.

Jealous? It just works. Even when my digital piano is not recognized, it just works. Even when my extremely high end external DAC is not recognized in OSX, it just works.

How do I fix these things? It just works.

Does it work? No.

How do I fix it? It just works.

I think I hate Apple, and I have owned this sh!t. Shame on me.

So much fanboy rage in this thread. ._. Really, most people know Apple isn't the bee's knees but not everything they make is "garbage". Compared to all the other tablets, the iPad is among the best and is the highest selling. When it comes to desktops, is Apple the best? No. When it comes to servers is Apple the best? No. When it comes to laptops, they are pretty good. When it comes to MP3 players, I'd say the are very good. Their software? Some of it's amazing, some of it's pretty awful.

No company is perfect so just buy what suits you best and try not to be a fanboy in the process.

5 degrees Celsius? up to a total of 33 degrees Celsius! What will I do now!? My hand's on fire!

I think many people actually hate Mac because it is so low value and a lot of people regret their purchases when they realize the severe limitations of the hardware and OS. They might not be fanboys in the sense that they adore something else; they simply hate Mac.

RH00D said: When it comes to MP3 players, I'd say the are very good

Considering they don't make mp3 players. I would love to know how they are very good.

Apple is fail - Always will be.

Have you been off planet for the last 15 years?
That would be the only excuse for not seeing that Apple is succeeding.
...or maybe it's just ignorance.

Back