These are the first Xbox 360 games you'll be able to play on the Xbox One

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft will soon give Xbox One owners another reason to ditch the 360. Among the many new features of the upcoming Xbox One Experience update will be backward compatibility with select Xbox 360 games.

Mike Ybarra, Director of Program Management for Xbox, revealed on Monday the first 104 backward compatible titles. There are plenty of noteworthy titles on the list including Assassin’s Creed II, Borderlands, Dirt 3, Fallout 3, the entire Gears of War collection, Halo: Spartan Attack, Just Cause 2, Mirror’s Edge 2, Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero, Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and Wolfenstein 3D.

The complete list of backward compatible games can be found over on the Xbox website.

Ybarra added that gamers can expect new backward compatible games to be announced on a regular basis starting in December. Games to look forward to include Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Halo Reach, Halo Wars and Skate 3, just to name a few. Fans can also visit the feedback website to vote on existing nominations or to submit their own for consideration.

The update will also introduce fully-customizable Xbox One Avatars and a revamped OneGuide. The former will feature the same visual fidelity improvements (better anti-aliasing, lighting, shading and so on) that gamers on Windows 10 are already enjoying while the new OneGuide brings an enhanced UI and a better live TV experience.

Microsoft will begin the Xbox One Experience update rollout on November 12.

Thumbnail courtesy Flickriver

Permalink to story.

A great feature that came years too late. This console generation has been pretty much decided, I'm actually looking forward to the next gen consoles that should launch in the next 2-3 years.

Yea the list is pretty bad. And might wanna change misleading picture thats the thumbnail on the homepage, as not many of those games are on the list.

Maybe this is already answered but what about the 15-20 digital games I have purchased from the Microsoft store that are installed on my 360?
If I could just download them onto my X1 it would go a long way.

Maybe this is already answered but what about the 15-20 digital games I have purchased from the Microsoft store that are installed on my 360?
If I could just download them onto my X1 it would go a long way.
If they are on the backwards compatibility list, they will automatically appear in your xbox one game's library ready to download and install. Just keep in mind how obscure most of the list is at the moment.

A great feature that came years too late. This console generation has been pretty much decided, I'm actually looking forward to the next gen consoles that should launch in the next 2-3 years.

If they follow the last generation it will be closer to 7-8 years.

If they follow the last generation it will be closer to 7-8 years.

Yup, looking forward to is one thing, waiting for is another. At this point I sure hope you aren't waiting.

It would have been nice instead of just adding backwards compatibility, to include the previous gen games as part of the gold subscription.

Yup, looking forward to is one thing, waiting for is another. At this point I sure hope you aren't waiting.
trust me, this console generation will not be as long as the last one. by 2018 (2019 at worst) we should get new consoles. nintendo is already aiming for a 2016 launch for the NX.

trust me, this console generation will not be as long as the last one. by 2018 (2019 at worst) we should get new consoles. nintendo is already aiming for a 2016 launch for the NX.
Actually, I doubt there will be another clear generation for Xbox. Unless something changes dramatically on the CPU/GPU front then it is more likely that we will just get improved hardware, more memory, more disk, faster CPU, faster GPU, support for 4K, 8K etc. My own bet is that Xbox One v2 will be Intel based with NVidia GPU given how they totally own PC gaming these days.

Doubt it as nVidia has no CPU and would be costly to add an Intel CPU/nVidia GPU combo considering that consoles have razor thin margins. The best APU you can get now comes from AMD.

Wolfenstein 3d and sonic 1-3.... just port it straight to xbone. Why put it trough emulation of emulation? Or will it activate xbone versions?

Sony could strike back and let me have my digital ps3 games that were remastered and give them free for ps4. Won't pay twice just cause someone went to config, took fps cap from 30 to 60 and put resolution up.

Actually, I doubt there will be another clear generation for Xbox. Unless something changes dramatically on the CPU/GPU front then it is more likely that we will just get improved hardware, more memory, more disk, faster CPU, faster GPU, support for 4K, 8K etc. My own bet is that Xbox One v2 will be Intel based with NVidia GPU given how they totally own PC gaming these days.
The consoles are PCs... then think in PC terms. What do you do when you want something better? you upgrade the hardware.
the hardware currently used by both xbox one and PS4 allows for easy upgrades while also retaining the compatibility for older games/software (it will also be much easier for devs to release new games for both old gen and new gen consoles). it's why they chose AMD and x86.
and by late 2018 they should be able to make 4K able consoles at around $450. (use 10/14nm Zen CPU cores and GPU with 2nd/3rd gen HMB -> they don't need the best components, just enough). in 2018 we should have fury level performance in $200/300 video cards.

Back