These three Sony-inspired Vaio notebooks are heading to the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony sold off its Vaio computer division nearly two years ago, signaling to many the end of a unique (and expensive) option in the PC market. Its new owners, however, are determined to avoid that reality and have been churning out notebooks in the Japanese market for a while.

Now, a few of its creations (heavily inspired by Sony's style) are destined for US shores.

The Vaio Z Flip is without a doubt the flagship device. As the name suggests, its 13-inch, 2,560 x 1,440 touchscreen display can flip over for use as a tablet, slotting it into the crowded 2-in-1 category. Under the hood is your choice of Core i5 or Core i7 Skylake processor, up to 16GB of RAM and speedy solid state drive storage.

Sound expensive? It is. By all accounts, this is a high-end machine designed to compete directly with the MacBook Pros and Surface Books of the world. The base model with a Core i5 CPU, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD starts at $1,799 early next month. There's also a non-flip, clamshell version – the Vaio Z Clamshell – with a lower resolution display that'll start at $1,499.

Last but not least is the "mainstream" machine, the Vaio S. IBT describes it as the notebook for someone looking for a no-nonsense machine that just works. It features a 13-inch, full HD display and is constructed of molded magnesium alloy. Inside you'll find a 15-watt Core I-series processor, 8GB of RAM and up to a 256GB PCIe SSD. Interestingly enough, it features legacy Ethernet and VGA ports so you can leave those adapters at home.

It tips the scales at just 2.34 pounds and will tap your wallet for at least $1,099 when it arrives in early March.

Hands-on images courtesy PCWorld

Permalink to story.

I hope VAIO flourish after all. One of the best, yet expensive, laptop companies in the market. Sony created a legend, and VAIO should keep it.

Back