Thinking of upgrading my video card, can I get some input?

Jory Anderson

I would like to get a video from the Raedon HD 7000 series, more specifically, 7700 or 7800.

I managed to find my computer's specs online and want to ask if I were to get a new card, would I need to upgrade anything else, like a better PSU, or a better CPU to prevent the card from being bottlenecked. I don't mind if it's bottlenecked a bit, but I would like to run Skyrim (as well as BF3) on high or ultra and be able to play Witcher 2 more smoothly.

The computer specs can be found here on the official HP site. I hope this is enough information to answer my question.

If I have forgotten or you need anything else, feel free to tell me and I will update ASAP.

Well you'd definitely need a better PSU than that 300W one which came with the HP. What's your total budget for the card + PSU?

Your i7 2600 processor is fine... actually it's more than fine since PC makers generally always tend to make CPU-heavy and GPU-light machines.

If u can u could try to buy the Gtx660ti it looks awesome u should definetly check it.

This Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W will be fine for your current build, you don't really need any more power since you can't overclock the CPU and don't have the option to run SLI/Crossfire.

But if you're interested in building your own powerful computer a few years down the line then consider investing in a decent 750W+ modular PSU.

I'd recommend this PSU; modular, and build quality seems good as well (it looks to be a decent HighPower/Sirfa-built unit). Slightly more expensive than the Antec recommended above, but overall, taking into account the promo code and rebate, it's cheaper.

If you don't like rebates, however, go with the Antec. You can't go wrong with either of these PSUs.

I'd recommend this PSU; modular, and build quality seems good as well (it looks to be a decent HighPower/Sirfa-built unit). Slightly more expensive than the Antec recommended above, but overall, taking into account the promo code and rebate, it's cheaper.

If you don't like rebates, however, go with the Antec. You can't go wrong with either of these PSUs.

Alright, thank you! I have one more question though. This will be my first time upgrading my PC is there anything I should know? I know about touching the case first to avoid static, but are there any tuts on how to upgrade? Thanks.

Yeah touch your case first or buy an anti static wristband.
As it's your first time upgrading you might want to take pictures of where all your current PSU connectors are plugged in so you plug in the same things when you change the PSU.

Yeah touch your case first or buy an anti static wristband.
As it's your first time upgrading you might want to take pictures of where all your current PSU connectors are plugged in so you plug in the same things when you change the PSU.

Ill assume the wires look the same on each one. Well, thank you! Hopefully I can get the money soon and start upgrading!

Well the wires will look roughly the same, but the point is to make sure any ports which were connected previously are still connected.

Check out the sticky in this forum on PC building; there's links to some guides you might find useful if you're upgrading after a while.

Enjoy, and be sure to post pictures after the jump! =)

Sorry to necro my old thread, but I figured it was appropriate since I'm OP and it's still the same subject. I still haven't gotten a new video card or PSU, but now my birthday has come by and now I have more than enough money to buy the pair.

If I were to buy these three things:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030 (PSU)

AND

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993 (Video Card)

AND

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568 (RAM 2x8GB)

would the set-up work?

My full PC specs are here. Thank you!

Sure, they'll work.

But spending $80 on upgrading from 8GB to 16GB is a huge waste of money, it won't increase your gaming performance since no games use anywhere near 8GB of RAM. If you spent that money on a better GPU you could get this 7870 which is a lot quicker than a 7770.

This plus the PSU is expensive, I should've noted my budget for both parts is 275$. I apologize. Could you recommend another card?

PSU = $55
7870 = $210 after rebate
Total = $265 which is less than your budget no?

If you want a cheaper option then you can get a 7850 but given the small price difference between the 7850 and 7870 you might as well save up a bit more for the 7870.

AMD are also running a promotion at the moment with free games, if you don't want to play them you can sell the codes. Far Cry 3 is among them and that's a AAA title which will sell for a decent amount. For that reason I'd go AMD instead of Nvidia, the GTX 660 will look very overpriced when you factor in those freebies.

After shipping it is over my budget, unless I can find a free shipping promo code. Hopefully I can or wait 'till boxing day and see if they offer free shipping.

EDIT: Decided to go with the 7850. I also decided to buy the PSU and a standard building kit, as this is my first time and doubt my house contains the tools needed. Thank you, slh!

No problem, good luck!

The only "building tools" you need is a cross head screwdriver and an anti-static wrist band. Would be interested to know what's in the building kit you ordered...

Looks like a lot of screwdrivers there, but can't hurt to have one of those kits lying around.

As long as you touch the case before you start and don't wear a polyester jumper then you should be fine.

Just out of curiosity, would this one be compatible on my machine?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=1bbe07518dcf954672b878de0ad2e80fen02

Your motherboard has 1 PCI Express x16 slot, so it will work with that card or any PCI Express card.

I would also urge you to read this :
http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited
It's a little bit technical, but essentially it shows how higher average frame rates don't always mean smoother game play.

Back