This $800 Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit box set has enraged many diehards

Shawn Knight

Staff member

There are plenty of worthwhile ways to blow $800 but for most, doing so on a movie box set isn’t one of them. Find a dedicated enough fan of a particular franchise, however, and logic (usually) goes out the window.

Such is the case with the new Middle Earth Ultimate Collector’s Edition that’s currently up for pre-order on Amazon (it’s an Amazon exclusive, we’re told) for a cool $719.99, down from the “List Price” of $800. So, what exactly do you get for parting ways with more than seven Benjamins? Not enough, according to many disgruntled fans.

The box set includes 30 Blu-ray discs featuring all six Middle Earth films in their extended forms which come in faux leather books and a collectible Hobbit-style wood shelf. The collection is also said to include all previously released bonus content from both the theatrical and extended editions as well as a 100-page sketch book with original film sketches and new artwork, maps and more.

Like most things labeled Collector’s Edition, this is more about presentation than actual content and that has a lot of people very upset.

As of writing, the box set has 145 reviews with an average star rating of 1.5 (ouch). Aside from the high price, diehards are apparently ticked at Warner Bros. for not including content that director Peter Jackson has teased for over a decade. Even some of the 5-star reviews are troll jobs, taking issue with the questionable quality of the wood shelf.

The Middle Earth Ultimate Collector’s Edition box set launches October 4 (or November 1 according to the above video preview). If Amazon reviews are any indication, it will be bought by nobody.

Permalink to story.

IMHO anything that says "Collector's Edition" is nothing more than a ploy to part people with their money.

What no "precious". I would expect an official numbered replica of the one ring, in at least 9crt gold for that price.

Aren't you a cheap-a$$?

the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-pics.jpg

IMHO anything that says "Collector's Edition" is nothing more than a ploy to part people with their money.

IMHO there are things that make Collectors Edition worth fans money, I've been interested at more than a couple of items with really nice goodies. This is clearly not one of them.

This is an evil plot from Sauron's himself adapting to the modern age !

Finger rings are overrated, blue-rays are the new rings :p

The thing that disturbs me most isn't the price, or absurd dedication to the movie franchise, it would take to motivate some poor soul with no real life whatsoever, to buy this garbage, It's the way Amazon manages to weasel its way into being sole distributor for things like these that upsets me. This is just one more symptom of Bezo's desire to be "king of the (retail) world". He imagines himself crossing the Rubicon, to peddle this crap as undisputed leader of the Roman Empire, and forcing the CEO of Walmart to drop to the ground and kiss his sandals.

All this does, is give me another perfectly valid reason to continue to do as little purchasing from Amazon, as I possibly can.

I'd never buy this, but you'd think for that price they'd use real leather, not faux leather!
Or possibly the same " gold pleather", that Frodo's mistresses booty shorts are made from.

(OK, y'all got me,. I'm still waiting for the pr0n version of the franchise to hit the dark web). :D.

Back