This custom-built R/C car could beat most production vehicles in a top-speed race

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Hobbies outside of computers and technology are aplenty. A few years back, I delved into R/C cars with a few friends and while I enjoyed tinkering with my car’s internals to squeeze every last drop of performance out of it (much like overclocking), I never got close to the sort of speeds obtained by Nick Case.

His electric-powered R/C Bullet recently managed to hit 188 mph – likely a new Guinness World Record for R/C cars. As you can see in the clip above, the car comes and goes in the blink of an eye but it’s the sound that really resonates with me.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Pretty cool, although I wonder how hard it is to build a car like this. Must be pretty tough or it would have been done before now. But on the other hand, compared to a car that has a person in it it would be far easier. No safety features or strong frame to protect a driver required. You could make it as light and dangerous as you wanted.

Im more curious how you can control something like that at such a high speed. I mean if one little thing got out of place like even a small stone that would send the RC car flying.

Im more curious how you can control something like that at such a high speed. I mean if one little thing got out of place like even a small stone that would send the RC car flying.
The aerodynamics would help push the R/C to the ground (giving it more stability). Otherwise, I'm sure they did a sweep of the track so they wouldn't have a moment of liftoff :p

Hate to be blunt, but what's the point? If you can't control it at those speeds at all, that means it is not any better than a rocket, but the latter can go faster.

Hate to be blunt, but what's the point? If you can't control it at those speeds at all, that means it is not any better than a rocket, but the latter can go faster.
Imagine it is just like trying to set some OCing record. What is the point of having something at x.xxxGhz if you can only boot it with liquid whatever? It is a hobby, that is all that is necessary.

I played with build it yourself RC cars for many years growing up. Tried to revisit it a couple different times later in life. I still have a bit of the passion for doing it, but without a friend to share the hobby with it doesn't do much for me. I was also too poor to afford good enough components to go real fast.. Now I'm less poor, but have nobody that shares the hobby nearby.

There are RC Race tracks in most cities. Most guys there, and also the track/shop owners, are very friendly and like to promote the RC hobby.

I have clocked my RC car at 65MPH back when it was built for speed, and it got there in like 5-6 seconds so pretty comparable to a modern card in acceleration.

Basically no practical application without a rail system component. Then you can call it high speed rail.

If you have humans riding it, they are mere passengers without the ability to intervene in programming, correct or delete, steer or control the applied throttle, g forces and ultimate destination.

That is called an automobile.

People would not feel secure riding on a pro-programmed r/c vehicle without rails, as it could easily be hi-jacked.

I want to race this "car that can beat most production vehicles in a top speed race", at top speed around the nurburgring, with me on my motorcycle.
Seriously though, if you cannot sit in or on it, what's the f kin point? I'm sure I'm having more of a thrill at legal speeds sitting on my bike than this guy is with his controller.

Back