This digital scroll proves we still have no idea what to do with flexible displays

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Flexible displays feel like a technology ahead of its time for the simple fact that, as this device demonstrates, we still have no clue how to implement them in a practical manner.

Researchers at Queen’s University have developed a roll-up tablet with a flexible touchscreen display inspired by ancient scrolls.

MagicScroll features a 7.5-inch 2K resolution flexible display that’s rolled around a 3D-printed cylindrical body housing the device’s processing hardware. Rotary wheels at each end of the tube allow the user to scroll through information on the screen. When the user comes across a bit of information they want to expand upon, the display can be unrolled and functions like a touchscreen table.

The device can also be used as a phone, dictation device or a pointing device. There are even robotic actuators in the rotary wheels that allow the scroll to spin in place when receiving a notification.

Its creators say the light weight and cylindrical design make it easier to hold than a traditional tablet and when rolled up, it fits in your pocket.

Dr. Roel Vertegaal, who led research on the project, said it is allowing them to further examine notions that “screens don’t have to be flat” and that “anything can become a screen.” They ultimately hope the device can be made into something as small as a pen that you could carry in your shirt pocket.

MagicScroll will be presented at the MobileHCI, a conference on human-computer interaction with mobile devices and services, next month in Barcelona.

Permalink to story.

I'm guessing those PINK vertical lines are where there is an issue with the display? I've seen the same lines on LCD screens when they are screwed up.

I know this is just some sort of proof of concept but it's a little silly if you ask me. But, considering the smartphone is 10 years old, it's still a rectangular slab of glass, metal and plastic and really hasn't changed its design since the beginning.

Rollable displays are a meme. It might seem fancy but in real use it's gonna be horrible. How are you going to keep the screen straight when you pull it out? Phones are getting big but they are not so big that you can't carry them in your pockets except maybe the biggest ones.

Maybe 20 years ago. We don't need these types of gimmicks. We can literally put a display on anything and connect to it wireless. We don't need this, as if we can't use anything else for a display.

I could see it replacing tablets in some scenarios, takes up less space. They could just sell the screen aspect so it's cheaper. Link it to your smart phone and it will give you a bigger screen to watch movies\tv show. If it could fold that would be even better and then stiffen. You could carry a 24 inch+ screen in your pocket. While your on a plane whip it out and watch a movie.

Instead of small hand held screen they need to make it way bigger, otherwise what's the point? If it's the size of your smart phone I really don't see it making any money.

Make it little like a pen with interlocking back when it rolls out so I can use it as a flat phone and it starts to look more interesting. Looking like a shakeweight isn't convenient.

It reminds me of the old dictation machine I used to see in my fathers office, although a bit more advanced. I still think one of the best uses would be to make large newspapers out of like in the movie that talked about "Pre-Crime" with Tom Cruise. Of course, it won't be that cheap, but it would give a whole new meaning to books and magazines where people still wanted to turn the pages and "feel" the papers ....... AND it certainly could add a whole new meaning if they could put it on toilet paper where you could put your favorite politicians face on it and give them a bit of your own "editorial opinion" .... no fake news there!

No, I wouldn't buy this looks like it would never sell. Where is transparent acrylic tablets, smart phones, computer monitors, UHDTV X2 etc.. Then after that tech holographic transparency. The future tech is coming I and hope it get's here before 2050.

This is too fiddly with the screen being clipped in and out for feature access. It also needs to roll tighter and shake less when unfurled.

Back