This hovering tricycle is reminiscent of the speeder bikes from Star Wars

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A group of Hungarian flight enthusiasts recently conducted a controlled test flight of their prototype personal flying machine. Flike is exactly what the awkward name suggests, a flying tricycle that’s somewhat sorta kinda reminiscent of the speeder bikes from Star Wars.

Flike is a Y6-layout tricopter that gets lift from its six rotors, grouped in counter-rotating pairs of three axes. Its lithium polymer batteries are able to keep it in the air for up to 20 minutes in hover mode and up to twice as long while cruising.

As you can see in the test flight video, this is a long way from being a finished (practical?) mode of transportation (did the duct tape give it away?). Safety would also be a concern as a buyer but I’m sure that’ll all get worked out before it comes to market… or should I say, if it comes to market.

Its creators are aiming to spin it off into a for-profit startup soon and are actively seeking investors.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

When you get on a flying mincer, the challenge is not to get any of your limbs chopped off.
In that area it was a success indeed. But your next pilot may not be as lucky.

Wow, that was a letdown. Kinda like watching that fool on YouTube jumping around in a Spider-Man costume, pretending he's a superhero just because he knows parkour. :D

Prototype or not I would NEVER EVER do that without putting rail guards around the props, this is literally the most dangerous thing I've seen in a while.
If one set of motors fail and the thing flips over you'll get some nice pilot mince meat.

Other than the obvious exposed blades of death in very close proximity to a person it looks kinda fun, why didn't they just do a full on quad though? Much more lift and control from that.

Prototype or not I would NEVER EVER do that without putting rail guards around the props, this is literally the most dangerous thing I've seen in a while.
If one set of motors fail and the thing flips over you'll get some nice pilot mince meat.

Other than the obvious exposed blades of death in very close proximity to a person it looks kinda fun, why didn't they just do a full on quad though? Much more lift and control from that.

Haha... that's exactly what I was thinking. You don't wanna be anywhere near something breaking under rotational force, let alone sitting in the middle of six propellers like that. That is one brave (or really stupid) man! :D

I'm sure in the UK health and safety laws would prevent this test from taking place.
Them blades need a wee barrier around them in case he hits the ground and goes over his handle bars. That helmet probably won't stop his head being lopped off.

Yeah, I doubt that moto suit will save you from anything this is likely to give you.
very neat. but for some sense of safety why not raise the blades higher so that if they break there is less chance of impalement. or put a tough shroud around them, or both. then make this thing fast and I'll want it.

Oh fear not. We have Obamacare.

Back