This telepresence robot is waiting in line to buy an iPhone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s yearly iPhone launches have become global events which some leverage for personal gain. Last year, for example, people began lining up outside Apple’s flagship store in New York City before the Cupertino-based company even announced the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

While some early line occupants were no doubt diehard fans, others were professional line-sitters. Whether by selling their place in line or promoting a product or service, money was the driving force for several.

Apple is expected to sell even more new iPhones during opening weekend this year than it did in 2014, largely due to the fact that China is now included in launch day festivities. Even still, there seems to be less hype (fewer crazy stories) around this year’s new batch of phones – or so I thought.

In line at Apple’s flagship store in Sydney, Australia is Lucy Kelly… well, sort of. Kelly has dispatched an iPad-based telepresence robot (also named Lucy) to hold her place in line (she’s fourth in line). That seems like a great idea, no? Only time will tell as it’s unclear if the Apple store will treat her robot the same as being there and thus, allow her to purchase a phone.

As you probably guessed, this is yet another publicity stunt as Kelly works for a media agency called Atomic 212. Her employer owns several of the robots and allowed her to use one to hold a place in line so she could continue to work from the office as usual.

With any luck, the robot will have better hands than this butterfinger from last year.

Permalink to story.

I will do my waiting at home till a time where I can get what I want within minutes of going to get it. I don't live my life on the bleeding edge of insanity, nor do I wish to be.

Why risk someone stealing the robot and ipad to get an iphone??
Hard to believe people pay others to wait in line to get something. The consumer driven world has gone mad.

Why risk someone stealing the robot and ipad to get an iphone??
Hard to believe people pay others to wait in line to get something. The consumer driven world has gone mad.

Just see the Supreme clothing queues, it's mental. The resell values and the wait times are insane. I once waited 7 hours (not to be proud) for a t-shirt (resell value was too good). Some people pay others to buy items for them... Mental.

Just knock the stupid thing over, problem solved for number 5 in line, now your number 4 and this blockhead gets nothing, but I like the idea of just stealing the thing, or drive by baseball bat, mmm that would be sweet to get on video, also evidence, but mmm so sweet and satisfying that would be. POW explodes in to a thousand pieces and everyone else in line cheers like your some kind of hero...

Back