Three AMD Radeon RX 6000 graphics cards enter Steam Survey

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It's Steam Survey time! Valve's monthly hardware and software survey among users of its popular platform has been updated for April, and there are several Radeon-sized reasons for AMD to celebrate: three of its RX 6000-series cards have entered the main GPU chart, joining the Radeon RX 6700 XT that for months had been the sole RDNA 2 entry.

Diving into the survey's GPU category, there isn't too much change amongst the top ten cards. But it's starting to look as if the GTX 1060's four-plus years in the top spot is being threatened by the… GTX 1650, which was the second best-performing card last month.

The big news is that the Radeon RX 6000 series is finally making headway into the chart. The Radeon RX 6700 XT had been the only card representing AMD's latest GPUs since it broke into the list in September 2021, but April saw the Radeon RX 6600, Radeon RX 6600 XT, and Radeon RX 6900 XT all gain enough users to make the main GPU section.

As for team green, the RTX 3060 Laptop GPU saw the most gains of any card in April, while Nvidia's other laptop and Ti-variant cards all performed well, as did the RTX 3050. Surprisingly, the RTX 3060 and 3070 lost ground last month, but then the Steam Survey does require users to opt-in to participate.

While graphics cards are still more expensive than they should be, we have seen them moving ever closer to their MSRP as availability improves. In Europe, the Radeon RX 6000 series was just 12% over MSRP last month, so we could be witnessing the effects of the price decreases in the Steam Survey.

Elsewhere, AMD also clawed back the CPU share that it lost to Intel last month, taking it to just over 31.5%. Windows 11 edged closer to 20% in the OS category, eroding more of Windows 10's lead, and the Oculus Quest 2 is now just over 2% away from being the headset owned by half of all Steam VR users.

Permalink to story.

Another confirmation of how flawed this tool is.

Sits down and grabs popcorn.

Yeah this makes it look as if someone out there actually thought it was worth forking out more than a thousand dollars for playing last gen games on BIG NAVI. That can't be right. Maybe it's just reviewers getting polled?

Now let's see:

AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT +0,30%
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT +0.15%
AMD Radeon RX 6600 +0.15%

And then:

AMD Radeon Graphics -0.16%

There's no need any more to prove that Steam Survey is utterly trash. There you had it.

One look at that GTX 1060 trend tells you how trash these numbers have been for months and years. Here's the conclusion you can get from the Steam survey:

People have PCs with Steam installed.
Those PCs have CPUs in them. Also GPUs, RAM and monitors attached.

Maybe you can go so far as:

People likely buy more Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs. The GTX 1060 might be the most widely used GPU.

Any more detail is unlikely to be accurate.

Now let's see:

And then:

There's no need any more to prove that Steam Survey is utterly trash. There you had it.

Your post really just serves to demonstrate that you still do not understand the Steam Survey.
You realize that Steam just reports the identifier string that the drivers return, right?

'AMD Radeon Graphics' is not an aggregate for an all Radeon cards category. All it does is provide a count of systems that report having a GPU with that name.
Reasons why this may have gone down include those systems being phased out, or narrowed down with a more specific name in newer driver releases.

Your post really just serves to demonstrate that you still do not understand the Steam Survey.
You realize that Steam just reports the identifier string that the drivers return, right?
Source?
'AMD Radeon Graphics' is not an aggregate for an all Radeon cards category. All it does is provide a count of systems that report having a GPU with that name.
Reasons why this may have gone down include those systems being phased out, or narrowed down with a more specific name in newer driver releases.
Sounds pretty strange that some drivers tend to report "AMD Radeon Graphics" and some others report correct names. Even more strange as "AMD Radeon Graphics" gained ground just recently, when 6000-series was gaining users. Essentially you claim newest AMD drivers report wrong names for Steam.

Considering Steam can only say clock speed and manufacturer on CPU section, it's easy to say Steam identification for GPUs is also very poor.

Considering Steam can only say clock speed and manufacturer on CPU section, it's easy to say Steam identification for GPUs is also very poor.
What do you want Steam to do other than just list what is reported?
Take some sort of wild guess?

5423-5-en-v1.png

Last edited:
What else can it do but list what is reported? Take some sort of guess?
It can do anything else too than list what is reported. Simple.

For example, this input: Intel Haswell

You really say Intel's drivers report only CPU code name, not anything about graphics? Officially that does not exist also. That should be Intel HD graphics "something", like we see around survey. Intel also officially reports it under HD graphics.

Not to say, anyone that offers even single look at that list, would not include CPU name on GPU category. Just proves that nobody on Steam actually looks what Steam survey contains and also proves that even Intel's official naming does not get into Steam survey.

It can do anything else too than list what is reported. Simple.

For example, this input: Intel Haswell

You really say Intel's drivers report only CPU code name, not anything about graphics? Officially that does not exist also. That should be Intel HD graphics "something", like we see around survey. Intel also officially reports it under HD graphics.

Not to say, anyone that offers even single look at that list, would not include CPU name on GPU category. Just proves that nobody on Steam actually looks what Steam survey contains and also proves that even Intel's official naming does not get into Steam survey.
There are actually Intel driver .inf files that have 8 different PCI vendor/dev IDs that start with 'Intel Haswell' out there.

I have no idea what you're trying to demonstrate.

There are actually Intel driver .inf files that have 8 different PCI vendor/dev IDs that start with 'Intel Haswell' out there.

I have no idea what you're trying to demonstrate.
I looked at some driver .inf files and didn't find any. Of course they still might exist. What's rest of ID?

Demonstrating that since Steam cannot identify CPUs correctly (they don't report exact models for what reason?), I highly doubt they can correctly identify GPUs. Also including some clear errors on list for years always makes you ask how many other errors there are.

I looked at some driver .inf files and didn't find any. Of course they still might exist. What's rest of ID?
There's some driver sets with these:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0C02 Intel Haswell HD Graphics - GTL Haswell
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0C06 Intel Haswell HD Graphics - GTL Haswell
etc.

And also older:
X5ul76x.jpg

There's some driver sets with these:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0C02 Intel Haswell HD Graphics - GTL Haswell
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0C06 Intel Haswell HD Graphics - GTL Haswell
etc.

And also older:
X5ul76x.jpg
Cool, but. Like I said, it should contain HD graphics. And it seem to contain. Assuming Steam survey takes data from there, why it's Intel Haswell and not Intel Haswell HD graphics?

I thought the "AMD Radeon Graphics" identifier was systems that use the integrated AMD graphics.

The Vega series iGPU ID as "AMD Radeon Graphics".
Perhaps but "AMD Radeon Graphics" appeared on Steam Survey around time RX6000 series was expected to appear. And now when RX6000 series cards suddenly made huge gains, AMD Radeon Graphics lost market share first time. That is pretty much proof that many RX6000 series cards apperared as AMD Radeon Graphics.

Cool, but. Like I said, it should contain HD graphics. And it seem to contain. Assuming Steam survey takes data from there, why it's Intel Haswell and not Intel Haswell HD graphics?
I reckon they just cut off and lump all the Haswell IDs together. There's also Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge categories.

The Steam survey is completely useless. I tried to take part several times and all it did was hang. It's a broken piece of software and therefore shouldn't be trusted.

Now let's see:

And then:

It is possible for those conclusions to be "true", at least after a fashion.

If the numbers of those cards ticked up in the survey, but overall the composite number of AMD cards went down, there's no conflict.

Although, since the GTX-1060 still (allegedly) outperforms the GTX-1650, the 1050 owners wouldn't be "upgrading" to it.

You could attribute the 1650 uptick to the fact that they are fairly available now.

It is possible for those conclusions to be "true", at least after a fashion.

If the numbers of those cards ticked up in the survey, but overall the composite number of AMD cards went down, there's no conflict.
Looking at biggest market share gainers, AMD's 6600XT is third, +0.30%.

Looking at cards that lost market share most are almost exclusively Nvidia cards EXCEPT what I have many times previously questioned: AMD Radeon Graphics.

As for what you said, I checked losses and gains on AMD cards. Total AMD gain is 0.91% and total losses are 0.17%. Difference is 0.74%. Pretty much for one month. While some may argue that 6600, 6900XT and 6600XT just entered list from other-category, that "other" category lost only -0.09%.

And by the way, why 6900 XT exists on list but 6800 XT does not? Looking at Nvidia:

RTX 3070 1.94%
RTX 3080: 1.27%
RTX 3090: 0.46%

As expected, most expensive model "sell" worst. Now for AMD:

RX 6700 XT: 0.25%
RX 6800 XT: does not exist
RX 6900 XT: +0.15%

So AMD "sells" more 6900 XT than 6800 XT and 6700 XT only "sells" 66% more than 6900 XT 🤔 "(y) (Y)" And people complain about high GPU prices 🤦‍♂️

Looking at biggest market share gainers, AMD's 6600XT is third, +0.30%.

Looking at cards that lost market share most are almost exclusively Nvidia cards EXCEPT what I have many times previously questioned: AMD Radeon Graphics.

As for what you said, I checked losses and gains on AMD cards. Total AMD gain is 0.91% and total losses are 0.17%. Difference is 0.74%. Pretty much for one month. While some may argue that 6600, 6900XT and 6600XT just entered list from other-category, that "other" category lost only -0.09%.
I based my post on numbers YOU posted, nothing more.

I confess to simply being completely ambivalent about Steam, of whatever bullsh!t they post, and put out as, (ostensibly), fact.

I could care less about Steam.

I could care less about about how many gamer boys are triggered by the results of their (ostensibly "accurate"), "survey". Whether they are "facts", or poor speculation.

I could care less if any of the Steam accountants or statisticians even passed 5th grade math.

One thing is certain, when I do my next build, I won't consult Steam, or anybody here, as to what components I intend to use, or what they think I should use, period_full stop.

Back