Three senior executives are no longer with AMD

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amd ceo restructuring lisa su john byrne colette laforce raj naik

AMD will have some pretty large shoes to fill in the near future as three senior executives are no longer with the company.

John Byrne, General Manager of AMD’s Computing and Graphics Business Group, is leaving to pursue other interests. He will stick around until the end of March, however, to assist with the transition according to an 8K filing.

Chief Marketing Officer Colette LaForce and Chief Strategy Officer Raj Naik have also decided to exit.

AMD spokesperson Drew Prairie said the changes are part of implementing an optimal organization design and leadership team to further sharpen the company’s execution and position them for growth. Or in other words, it’s all part of a restructuring effort.

The moves come roughly three months after former AMD CEO Rory Read stepped down from the position. He was replaced by Chief Operating Officer Dr. Lisa Su who wasted little time trying to turn things around.

Just over a week after landing the promotion, Su announced plans to cut seven percent of AMD’s global workforce in the wake of poor third quarter results. Following today’s vacancies, Su will assume Byrne’s responsibilities as the company conducts a search for a permanent replacement.

It’s also worth mentioning that in the 8K filing, AMD awarded restricted stock units to Chief Financial Officer Devinder Kumar and Chief Technology Officer Mark Papermaster as part of an inventive plan.

Permalink to story.

Things that make you say Hmmmmmmmmm ........
Could have been worse. Losing Byrne is a blow, but at least AMD managed to hold on to Mark Papermaster and Devinder Kumar thanks to a sweetener of stock options as a retention incentive. Losing those two in addition to Byrne could have been catastrophic.

Strange timing with Byrne being the public face of AMD as little as two days ago. Doesn't auger well for the Q4/yearly financials due out in a week, or for the Q1 2015 forecast...at the very least.

Say what you will about AMD but if it wasn't for them, my beloved Intel wouldn't be the player they are today in the desktop market. And I don't believe AMD is dead, they are simply playing a new game. They are playing a longterm game by shifting main focus away from desktop which will eventually die. AMD is not dead nor are the dying. In my opinion; AMD is creating a major foothold in the portable market space, which is the future of computing.

AMD is creating a major foothold in the portable market space, which is the future of computing.
What foothold would that be?
Far as I can tell, AMD are exactly nowhere in phones, tablets/ 2-in-1's, Chromebooks, and ultrabooks...and Carrizo looks like a non-event thanks to Broadwell and Intel's contra revenue program.
Do they have anything of significance, or any key announced design wins going to market?

Back