Throttling

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonylukac

ATT is really throttling my dsl connection. Isn't this illegal? I'm getting slower download speeds than with a 56K modem. I can see why cable companies throttle due to a shared pipe. There is no shared pipe with dsl. ATT is just wickedly greedy.

On the other hand, further testing does not show it to be as slow as 56K, but it seems slower. The results are possibly inconclusive.

I am planning for my future budget woes. I want to pay the least possible without having a dial up modem. I pay $19.95 a month for dry loop dsl (without a phone line) and have Ooma voip phone service for $13.00 a year. It is only 700Kbps down, but suffices for my causes. I get digital tv thru an antenna (free)--no cable. The dsl has been down only twice in the 8 years I've been here. In doing the speakeasy test, I measured it while the slow download was in progress. It registered 250K download, so I suppose since it was simultaneous I was getting 500K at that time. The actual speed of the download in question was dropping to as little as 30kbps (not 300k) as displayed on the download.

btw: DSL is short for ADSL; asymmetric digital subscriber line.

It is asymmetric in that the upload & downloads are not equal :(

Sadly, Cable access has the same issue.

My cable download is ~11.6Mbps and the upload is ~ 0.98Mbps (about 1/10 of the download which is very typical

While Congress funded and intended equal up/down loads,
that's not what the domestic WWW has implemented.

A couple things to throw in the mix:

1) Call ATT and threaten to disconnect. They often suddenly come up with better deals to offer you that you won't get unless you call them (e.g. higher speeds for the same price)

2) You might also want to look at Clear 4G service (i just checked and their website says coverage in Darien). They can offer internet only or internet + voice. Consider $ vs speed. And you can test their speed at your own home location to be sure of what you get before you commit

Also, you're best to go into a Clear store (vs. Best Buy). The Clear store (at least the one i went to) offered free home trials
> Only show a driver's license and borrow the hardware for 2 days OR
> For 14 days free, buy what you need on credit card. Then free returns within 14d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back