Tinkering with graphics settings

TS-56336

For a high-end GPU card like Nvidia's Kepler GTX 680 Series , you can almost boost the perfect graphics setting of a particular heavy games without even experimenting (i.e Grand Theft Auto IV, Witcher 2, Battlefield 3 etc.). If you just have a Budget or Mainstream card, do you set the video setting lower just to play things smoothly? Do you reduce Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering or maybe lower a game's resolution?

BtSFb.jpg

5a3e36e2_vbattach86016.png

Yes - that's accurate Joden, though you'd be best off making those changes in game if possible. If you're going to do it at the driver level (such as your screenshots suggest) then you'll want to make sure you do them with application profiles so you don't affect all 3D application on your system.

As LNCPapa said, you can force/apply them through the CP, but through the second tab labeled 'Program Settings'. That'll help you individualise the settings, so you don't accidentally screw your 'Global settings".

Here's what I do: Increase pre-rendered frames, lower resolution, increase FSAA level.
Click here for a better Nvidia guide than mine., here for a Radeon guide.

My GPU is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6790. I usually just set my games to default video settings except the resolution. And later adjust the settings via Catalyst. But things for the Radeon guide, Marnomancer.

I'm with LNCPapa, I do most of my graphic adjustments in the game itself as I have a mainstream card (Radeon 6850). If I do need to work at the the driver level, I create separate profiles like suggested.

Regarding my settings, I never adjust my resolution and always play at its native size. For everything else, it depends on what game I'm playing but usually anti-aliasing, effects and shadows are areas I tweak to improve performance. Most of the games I play I can run on a mixture of high to ultra.

Back