Tiny laptop screen boots Windows and then goes blank XP SP3

Hey guys. ive got the misses laptop here for a while its been scrolling its patches, found it had no graphics driver and was using a generic windows driver, i downloaded what i hoped to be the correct driver, and did a system restart.

now the laptop boots, i can see the bios and the windows xp loading screen, after this it goes black (but still illuminated) i hear a couple of the sounds so i know its loaded windows.

i tried to boot using F8 => safe mode, it then puts a load of writing down the screen. It gets to:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ENECBPTH.sys
and stops

its a 2001 tiny laptop running windows XP SP3 its got AMD Sempron sticker on it, but past that i dont know much about it, concerned ive messed it up :(

It sounds fairly likely that you have installed the wrong driver.

Use F8 to get the boot selections choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

That should get you back to being operational again.

Then find the correct driver, it should be available from the manufacturers site, where did you get it from?

hi, thanks for the advice, the same problem remains when booted from last good known config.

im pretty sure its the wrong driver or corrupt.

can i make a XP boot CD using an ISO? i know its home edition and i have the registry key.

i dont think theres anything that needs saving, so it is an option.

Boot using the F8 key and select the command prompt. Then follow this guide and use system restore to go back before you installed the bad driver. I've not tried this method so no guarantee.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/systemrestorecp.htm

If all else fails you would need to get a copy of XP to run a Repair or Clean install. If you can borrow a copy of XP (it must be the same version your licence is for) you can copy the image to another CD.

You can make your own boot disc but you need to copy files from the OS disc which you don't have.

You may be able to find a free boot disc on line but I am not sure that this will help to resolve the problem.

thanks for trying to help, when trying to boot with command prompt it hangs at the same place as when booting in safe mode.

can i make a boot CD using the image. (can find it on bit torrent as an ISO)

its XP home edition, and was running SP3. like i say i have the reg key on the underside of the laptop.

Where you get the ISO from is up to you, I cannot advise on pirated copies of the OS on this forum.

All I will say is that if you wish to do a repair install you will need a copy that has SP3 integrated. A guide can be found on line by doing a search.

If you do a clean install with an XP disc that has no service pack included you will have to go through a lot of updates from Microsft to get back up to date.

ok, thats a fair enough comment. thanks again for your advice, a clean install might be my only option here.

Back