Tip: Windows evaluation of router capability

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool

The Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool checks your Internet router to see if it supports certain technologies. You can use this tool on a PC running either the Windows Vista or Windows XP operating system. If you're planning to run Windows Vista, this tool can verify whether your existing Internet router supports advanced features, such as improved download speeds and face-to-face collaboration using Windows Meeting Space.

The tool is intended to be run from a home network behind a home Internet (NAT) router. Running this tool from behind a corporate firewall or on operating systems other than those specified above won't produce accurate results. This tool requires administrator privileges to run.

The tests can require up to 10 minutes to complete and do not make any permanent changes to your router. For the most accurate results, your computer should be connected directly to your Internet router, using a wired connection.

The last test is a robustness test of 80 concurrent connections to verify
that your router can sustain heavy downloads :wave:

from an Admin login (or run as Admin) open IE6 or above and paste this link
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx
An ActiveX component will be installed to run the test

The original link worked for me. My Netgear WGR614 wireless router passed all tests except UPnP.

Note to Jobeard:
I got the Vista systems to network wirelessly, but the Wireless connection drops consistantly, every 10 to 15 minutes. I'm replacing the router next month

Tmagic650 said:
The original link worked for me. My Netgear WGR614 wireless router passed all tests except UPnP.
You can run without it nicely. UPnP is different than Plug and Play :)

This seems to be more geared for Vista OS and not too much for XP. UPnP sometimes doesn't handshake too well..

It's examining the accessibility of specific ports, not the OS.

change your firewall settings and you get different results :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back