Titan RTX appears across social media and YouTube, suggesting upcoming launch (updated)

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Now that the RTX 2070, 2080, and 2080 Ti are here, PC fans eagerly await the arrival of Nvidia’s next graphics card. Based on a series of leaks by YouTube channels and social media personalities, the Titan RTX is on its way—and it might be here sooner than expected.

Update: Nvidia has now officially revealed the $2400 Titan RTX. Many of the predicted specs in this article were accurate, though it does have a massive 24GB of high-speed GDDR6 memory with 672GB/s of bandwidth.

Gavin Free from YouTube’s The Slow Mo Guys uploaded a photo to Instagram showing off his PC—and cat. The post included a message about upgrading the GPU, and you can clearly see a Titan RTX inside the case.

Ziggy the kitten helping me upgrade my GPU in the kitchen.

A post shared by Gavin Free (@gavinfree) on

Another image of the card appeared on Google Brain co-founder Andrew Ng’s Twitter account. The open PC, which included some fairly horrendous cable management, exposes Nvidia’s flagship.

Over on YouTube, Linus Sebastian pulled a Titan RTX box out twice during The WAN show, and it makes a lengthy appearance on a recent JayzTwoCents video (2:18 mark).

With all these ‘leaks’ arriving simultaneously, this is obviously a marketing campaign by Nvidia to whip up hype over the new card, which will likely launch quite soon.

We don’t know much about the Titan RTX, but it’s expected to have a full implementation of the TU102 chip, much like Nvidia's $10,000 Quadro RTX 8000. So, we can expect 4,608 CUDA cores, 72 RT cores, and 576 Tensor cores, along with 12GB of GDDR6 memory (it turned out to be 24GB!), putting it ahead of the RTX 2080 Ti's 68 RT cores and 11GB of GDDR6.

With the RTX 2080 Ti priced at $1200, expect the Titan to cost an eye-watering amount of money, perhaps close to $3000 (update: $2,499, so not too far off). But these cards are aimed as much toward professionals and researchers as they are (rich) gamers.

As for a release date, it seems unlikely that Nvidia would launch this kind of campaign if the card weren’t on the horizon. If you want bragging rights and what will doubtlessly be some unbeatable gaming performance, be prepared to empty your savings accounts very soon.

Permalink to story.

At $3000 these will still sell. Potentially sell out. Therefore it’s not overpriced as the only definition of a luxury product being overpriced is if it doesn’t sell. It’s cost is too high for me to bother but whilst I am far from poor I am aware of the fact that there are an awful lot of people who have more money than I do or rather are willing to sacrifice more of their annual salary on electronics than I am.

Nvidia spend billions developing their products and the Titan is a way of recovering money and making a profit just like all their other products. With development costs soaring and a huge market of people wealthy enough to afford these parts, don’t expect this high pricing to go away. This goes for all the highly priced electronics like the i9 range, 2080ti, Vega Frontier and Threadripper parts. In fact I think the trend is going to go upwards, with ever increasing prices for bleeding edge componentry.

If you’re on a budget there are actually plenty of components available at all price ranges and if you’re an enthusiast there are some really powerful but lesser value options available right now. It’s a good time to be building whatever your priorities - budget or performance.

At $3000 these will still sell. Potentially sell out. Therefore it’s not overpriced as the only definition of a luxury product being overpriced is if it doesn’t sell. It’s cost is too high for me to bother but whilst I am far from poor I am aware of the fact that there are an awful lot of people who have more money than I do or rather are willing to sacrifice more of their annual salary on electronics than I am.

Nvidia spend billions developing their products and the Titan is a way of recovering money and making a profit just like all their other products. With development costs soaring and a huge market of people wealthy enough to afford these parts, don’t expect this high pricing to go away. This goes for all the highly priced electronics like the i9 range, 2080ti, Vega Frontier and Threadripper parts. In fact I think the trend is going to go upwards, with ever increasing prices for bleeding edge componentry.

If you’re on a budget there are actually plenty of components available at all price ranges and if you’re an enthusiast there are some really powerful but lesser value options available right now. It’s a good time to be building whatever your priorities - budget or performance.
While I agree it is a luxury product, Nvidia is jacking up the price of everything. Remember when the titan was just $1000 a few years ago? Now you talk as if $3000 is normal. It isnt.

Everyone willingly shelling out tons of money just because they can afford to is why the 1080/2080 prices are ridiculously high. Of course there are plenty of parts available on a budget, but what you GET on that budget is significantly lower now then it was a few years ago, handwaving it away ignores the issue of rapidly rising costs.

If you an enthusiast with a budget, the market currently sucks arse. If you want to spend $400-500 on a GPU, you are screwed.

While I agree it is a luxury product, Nvidia is jacking up the price of everything. Remember when the titan was just $1000 a few years ago? Now you talk as if $3000 is normal. It isnt.

Everyone willingly shelling out tons of money just because they can afford to is why the 1080/2080 prices are ridiculously high. Of course there are plenty of parts available on a budget, but what you GET on that budget is significantly lower now then it was a few years ago, handwaving it away ignores the issue of rapidly rising costs.

If you an enthusiast with a budget, the market currently sucks arse. If you want to spend $400-500 on a GPU, you are screwed.
I disagree, if you want to spend $400-500 on a GPU then you get more now than you ever did before. 1080 ti’s Have been selling as low as $520. I understand that previously flagship GPUs have launched at lower prices before but the performance bump between generations isn’t consistent anyway. Currently we are end of a mining boom with 10 series cards on a bit of a clearance sale, it’s a good time to be buying if you ask me. I gather that people also appear to be upset that the top tier cards cost more than $400-500 but that doesn’t mean that price range is worse off than before, Nvidia & AMD have just added products on top of the product stack.

Also It seems in the last 24 hours this card has dropped with a new price and the price isn’t quite $3000 and it has 24GB of VRAM. For users who previously had to buy something like a quadro M6000 to get a frame buffer that big this is actually a significantly better value. It’s all about the use case.

Really it’s about supply and demand. The demand for these products is high enough to justify the pricing Nvidia & AMD are putting on their high end cards. I think it’s a good thing, the value of these companies will increase and so will their R&D budgets to develop new technologies. Of course yes we can no longer pick up a top end GPU for $400-$500 and will have to settle for a mid range product for that price that performs better. All we really lose is the ability to say that you have the fastest card on the market.

Last edited:
Trying to decide if I should ask for one at work... want to see several benches comparing this to the Titan V which I already have.

Back