Tomb Raider gets debut trailer, launching in fall 2012

Emil

Staff

A new Tomb Raider game is being developed by Redwood City–based studio Crystal Dynamics, to be published by Square Enix. It is slated to be released in North America on the PlayStation 3, the Xbox 360, and Windows during the fall 2012 timeframe.

Tomb Raider will deliver an intense and gritty story of the origins of Lara Croft and her ascent from frightened young woman to hardened survivor, armed with only raw instincts and the physical ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance. We're also being promised "superb physics–based gameplay."

The wait till next fall is a long one, so in the meantime, you can have a look at the 45 screenshots of the upcoming game over on tombraiderchronicles.com. For those who prefer video, Crystal Dynamics has also released the Turning Point debut trailer on YouTube. We've embedded the game's first trailer for you below – make sure to watch it in 1080p:

The Tomb Raider video games have together sold over 35 million units, making the franchise one of the best-selling video game series of all time. The first game (released in October 1996) was just called Tomb Raider, and unless we get a new name, this 2012 game will apparently also go by just Tomb Raider.

I remember the original Tomb Raider games quite fondly as I grew up playing them on my old Windows boxes. It's too early for me to say whether I'll be picking this one up, but because it's of the rare Action Adventure genre, I'm much more likely to buy it over one of the other typical shooters.

"Forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider," said Darrell Gallagher of Crystal Dynamics. "This is an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other."

Permalink to story.

Completely changing her story, changing her, making her look like a typical Final Fantasy girl and sounding corny when she talks. Yeah, real good move. I've played every Tomb Raider game of the past and this, to me, will never be considered Tomb Raider. I can't believe they're even using 'Tomb Raider' as the title instead of something with an extension. Definitely NOT buying this game. Sorry Lara, you were done at Underworld, this isn't you anymore.

This is NOT Tomb Raider. They need to change the name entirely, because that is NOT Lara Croft, and this is NOT Tomb Raider. There was no reason to rewrite her story. Lara has had how many games, all following the story of her TOMB RAIDING life? This is just a game about a generic Final Fantasy girl having to survive somewhere on her own. Female Tarzan? How about you call it that. I wouldn't buy this game if you paid me, and I'm so disappointed with everything they've done with one of my favourite games.

Guest is a little obsessed. They used an actual actress for that footage and she was very pretty, but not an outrageous cartoon body. The voice was a cute British accent. Truthfully, those of you who played Tomb Raider on Win 95 are probably not the target audience, so they can reboot the franchise. I don't see any difference between this and Batman Begins and it sure worked there! Not really into adventure games, but I might give it a shot, first I'd need to see game footage rather than film.

I lost interest in the franchise many years ago, but what I've seen over the last couple days at E3 has peaked my interest once again. I might have to give this reboot a shot come next year and hope they can pull it off.

Love the people that write off something even before they played it. Why not just give it a chance after downloading the demo before chastising the look of the game?

Looks interesting... I too will miss the original story line the TR games followed, but at some point its time to move on. A new TR game with the same gameplay type, third person adventure and shooter will always be welcomed with Lara in it.

I'm sure the wife will be happy with my staring at some e-boobs in HD glory.

No, this **** looks realistic and raw. I prefer this over some unrealistic action. First Tomb Raider I want to play.

It looks realistic because it is a split screen trailer, not a gameplay trailer. We'll see what it looks like when the gameplay trailers come out.

hello ...

i loved the Tomb Raider franchise & i love the genre (70% of my collection are adventure games) ..

i'm waiting for this & for the TR HD collection. it may not look like the original ones, but with the GFX capabilities of our new machines, can't expect same & yet a reboot is a reboot.

i want to see more & i wonder how a duo of Sir Drake & Miss Croft would look like :p

cheers!

I think it looks awesome.
IT IS TOMB RAIDER. Don't judge before playing please.
Since this is only the begging of the game, she'll get stronger and become Lara Croft that we know.
Judging from what I have seen this far, it is fantastic and realistic that ever (even at this stage)
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

its just a fun game, idk whyy ppl ar bitchin on laura WHO ISNT EVEN REAL

Back