Too Challenging to Name It

TamaJoann

Windows XP Home sp3 pre ie8 was running fine until I sent pics to JustCloud. The program took docs, program files, shortcuts, sound, some control panel functions, ieframe.dll and lots more but now I can't download either. I have tried sfc\scannow and files need to be downloaded from the xp disk that I do not have. Bummer. I have tried cmd prompt to repair/restore missing apps and files but nothing is working correctly. The trojan that came back from justCloud might have ate them or they may be locked up but I have all the missing items in downloads and I can get to them but the pc doesn't recognize them as part of the system anymore. Did Microsoft Malicious Malware Removal kill all of these important crucial files when it killed the trojan? After removal of trojan, I unzipped and tried to move files back but it was too much for me to replace things on a faulty acting computer that didn't recognize any of it anyway. If I could download again, I could get to help programs I think and start recovery maybe. I have no updates coming into the computer either, which means I have no iolo System Shield Security. It can't connect to scan engine and updates on everything I have can't reach my pc. The problem with downloading goes like this: Free download manager is not properly installed! Please reinstall free download manager. If you want to download with your browser please remove "npfdm.dll" file in the plug-in directory of your browser. Error 80040154 I don't see such a thing in my plug-ins so I must not know where to find it. I don't have a free download mgr that I know of either. I might need to mention that my browser popped to ie6 when this all happened. I have also lost desktop shortcuts along with start menu items, they are dead, I have to go to program files to pull up a program, let it reinstall itself, then scan or whatever. I can only access the web with Chrome because IE gives the message: " LoadLibrary failed to load ieframe.dll" and Won't let me out. What a mess! Any thoughts? Thanks Tammie

I have win xp but is this a newer version than win 7? Mine is home version xp and then I know of pro, How do they all go in order and if you upgrade will it apply correctly if you don't go in order or if you have alot of missing crucial files and such? My PC is so corrupt with missing files I may have no choice but to upgrade xp so what would you recomend upgrading to and is it ok if I am dealing with a very sick computer? I think it's clean though according to Microsoft Malicious Malware Removal. Should I scan with another type of program to be sure? I do so appreciate feedback on this. Thanks Tammie

I was about to answer your second question in another thread:

2001: Windows XP
2006: Windows Vista
2009: Windows 7
2012: Windows 8

The "Home edition" and "Pro" are divisions of the same version. I.e. Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate.

Since your PC is "corrupt" with missing files and "sick", a clean install of Windows 7 or 8 may be the best way to go. This would require you to backup your documents, music, movies ect. and wipe your hard drive, before installing Windows 7 or 8. This would probably be the easiest way to go.

EDIT: After reading your first question, I feel even more strongly that you should upgrade to Windows 7.

I was about to answer your second question in another thread:

2001: Windows XP
2006: Windows Vista
2009: Windows 7
2012: Windows 8

The "Home edition" and "Pro" are divisions of the same version. I.e. Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate.

Since your PC is "corrupt" with missing files and "sick", a clean install of Windows 7 or 8 may be the best way to go. This would require you to backup your documents, music, movies ect. and wipe your hard drive, before installing Windows 7 or 8. This would probably be the easiest way to go.

EDIT: After reading your first question, I feel even more strongly that you should upgrade to Windows 7.

Thanks for the info, I think I will get started all over again. This is a headache! Appreciate it. Tammie

Use windows restore!! :) I think for windows xp its start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore. Go back to the earliest restore point you can find :)

Use windows restore!! :) I think for windows xp its start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore. Go back to the earliest restore point you can find :)

He could, but that would delete all of the files he created since the last restore point, so he might as well do a fresh install or upgrade to Win 7.

Thanks, I have, but with crucial files and such missing, it still doesn't bring back the info that was wiped off. Every attempt goes back to the fact that I need a disk (that I don't have) to reapply missing files, apps, .dlls and the like. I am looking for another newer program to update to and I may try ebay. Can I go from win xp to win 7 with all of these missing problems and expect a clean application? Do you think a new disk will be read and downloaded properly or am I looking at a new PC purchase? Sucks don't it! LOL! I can't even download a fix. The cmd prompt doesn't even want to help or I haven't found the proper line of cmds (microsoft) because it says it's NOT right. I only had one attempt with cmd prompt though to restore so if you come up with the correct cmds, let me know please, what the worse that could happen? Thanks again! I'll be checking back. Tammie

He could, but that would delete all of the files he created since the last restore point, so he might as well do a fresh install or upgrade to Win 7.

Sounds good but my start menu is absent as well as some of my control panel. No functions that would really help are here. The good stuff got eat up. I can surf the web good but with no sound. I am looking on ebay for win 7 32 bit and I just hope the disk will read properly for a clean install. I couldn't get my iolo System Shield to install correctly because it wouldn't connect to the internet for the scan engine. Maybe a windows program will be different (I hope). What do you think? Any prep before I install? I am not backing up anything, don't want no part of it, the new application will wipe the system clean won't it? I can get my programs back fairly easy I think and just in case there is a bug still lurking I prefer it this way. Let me know about getting started please with win 7 and I will be checking back with you. Thanks So Much! Tammie

Since your OS is completely destroyed, here's what I think you should do:

1. Purchase a copy of Windows 7 64 bit. I wouldn't be risking an ebay copy, and 64 bit is better.
2. Backup all of your photos, music, videos and documents onto an external hard drive.
3. Install the new copy of Windows 7 from scratch (very easy, you get step by step instructions)
4. Make sure you have all of your motherboards drivers installed. Install a good anti-virus and create a system restore point to ensure this crazy stuff never happens again.
5. Copy all of your media back to your computer
6. Enjoy a brand new Windows 7 experience.

If you need clarification about any of these steps let me know :)

You mentioned in a new thread that you are unfamiliar with your bios.

Basically, your bios is the pre-loaded software stored on your motherboard that controls all your system hardware. Some newer motherboards have a graphic bios that look nice, some older motherboards have a plain text bios, they both serve the same purpose.

Since all you are doing is installing windows 7, you will likely not have to deal with the bios too much. THIS video explains it pretty well. Look around YouTube, there's plenty of guides out there (search "re-installing windows 7")

You mentioned in a new thread that you are unfamiliar with your bios.

Basically, your bios is the pre-loaded software stored on your motherboard that controls all your system hardware. Some newer motherboards have a graphic bios that look nice, some older motherboards have a plain text bios, they both serve the same purpose.

Since all you are doing is installing windows 7, you will likely not have to deal with the bios too much. THIS video explains it pretty well. Look around YouTube, there's plenty of guides out there (search "re-installing windows 7")

Thanks for all the help. It makes it a little more bearable to have a back-up coach- Thanks!

Brand name pc s suck, they water down ur bios where you have highly restricted access,, never again will I own a HP, Dell, ect brand name pc unless all bios options are open, and never ever had a problem doing a fresh install of win 7, been using
win 7 ultimate 64 bit for 3 yrs, and while many of my friends still swear by win xp
trying to convince them is a tall task. use 64 bit if it benefits you memory wise
and forget xp. my only beef is a couple programs I use isnt 64 bit compatible, or win 7 campatible, and mostly xp mode doesnt work, other then that win 7 is way better then xp imo

Brand name pc s suck, they water down ur bios where you have highly restricted access,, never again will I own a HP, Dell, ect brand name pc unless all bios options are open, and never ever had a problem doing a fresh install of win 7, been using
win 7 ultimate 64 bit for 3 yrs, and while many of my friends still swear by win xp
trying to convince them is a tall task. use 64 bit if it benefits you memory wise
and forget xp. my only beef is a couple programs I use isnt 64 bit compatible, or win 7 campatible, and mostly xp mode doesnt work, other then that win 7 is way better then xp imo

I am trying real hard to fix the drivers on xp so I can install win 7. I think that's all I need to do before installation. Thanks for the back-up, and I will be checking back to catch some more info. Tammie

If it's just an issue of XP drivers, I may be able to assist

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next post by clicking the Upload a File button

Thanks for info. I tried and got the box saying "windows cannot find msinfo32" check typing...blah. There are so many things missing. This may help or at least give you an idea of what's happened. In "My Computer", C:, Folder Options, Display the Contents, I have this showing on some: (NONE) audio CD, none audio cd, none audio cd, none drive, none DVD, (all has none), file folder, folder, help and support center protocol, realnetworks streaming protocol, realplayer auto play for blank CD, (and DVD), (and MP3/Video CD), real-time streaming protocol, URL:Gopher protocol speed dial, (all the URL: listings with none) Call to protocol, file transfer, hyper text transfer protocol, (with privacy too) LDAP prot, NEWS prot, NNTP prot, RLOGIN prot, SNEWS prot, Telnet prot, TN3270 prot. All of these items list as (NONE) and half are URLs. A program I already have on my PC lists these as missing: ALCXWDM, Anti Log 32, Changer, i2omgmt, Keycrypt, lbrtfdc, MREMP50, MREMPR5, MRENDIS5, MRESP50, NTIOLib_1-0-4, PCIDUMP, PDCOMP, PDFRAME, PDRELI, PDRFRAME. And finally, another program lists these as missing or out of date:VIA/S3g UniChrome IGP, Multimedia audio controller, HID-compliant device, VIA Bus Master IDE controllers-IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Standard 101/102-key or microsoft natural PS/2 keyboard, HID Keyboard device, Plug and Play monitor, SCSI and RAID controllers- VIA SATA RAID controller, VIA Standard Host Bridge, VIA Standard PCI to ISA Bridge, VIA Standard Host Bridge, (2) VIA Standard host Bridge, (3) VIA Standard Host Bridge. I think the rest was ok but I will look again to see. I don't know where the list is that I had of .dlls that said the applications needed to be found, some were .lnk and such. I don't know where to start to find all of these drivers and I really appreciate you looking into a possible solution. I'm afraid to do anything yet. Thanks for the help, I'll be checking back. Tammie

How about you take a screenshot of what you see, rather than typing it all out. It might make it easier for us to see what's wrong.

I can't get anything to follow through right. I have so many functions that won't work. I have a question about infection. Will microsoft malicious malware remover take out most that could infect a computer? That's all I have to work with. I can't download anything. I get the "download has been transferred to the free download manager, If you want to download from the browser remove "npfdm.dll from plug-ins" I can't fix the windows installer. It may be infected if I need a stronger anti-virus program. Not sure of what to do next.

Hi LukeDJ, I had to go with another app of Windows XP instead of win 7. it was successful but I still need drivers and sound is one of the missing drivers. I need sigmaTel C-major. I am going to try and update drivers now and let you know later how that went. Thanks for all the help! Tammie

Hi LukeDJ, I have found the missing drivers. Multimedia audio controller, RAID controller and Video controller (VGA Compatible)

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    31.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi TamaJoann, Don't know if you have made any progress with your damaged pc,
if you can get XP going again and it works, then that could be one answer, it depends on how much time and effort you can spend on it, it's often simpler to start again.
One reason that these problems happen is that the hard drive (C: usually) has started to fail, areas on the disk become unusable, or the 'seek' arm loses accuracy. There is no fix, and a new hard drive is the only answer.
But if the hard drive is ok, and it's 'just' software issues, and could well be, then you will need a Windows system disc, (XP, or later) but note, that you don't need to spend time 'fixing' the drivers on the old XP system first, because the new Windows system that you install competely replaces the old one, all the drivers are installed from the new disk, at least to get it going. You may need to search for other drivers if you have a 'special' sound card or video card though.
All you need to do, is to go into the BIOS settings from switch-on, and change the 'first boot' device from " Primary hard disc " to " CD/DVD drive", then 'Save and exit'.
That tells the PC where to look for an operating system.
Then you put the CD/DVD in the drive, press and hold the power button, 'till it powers off, press again, and your pc will then look at the Windows disc in the DVD drive, and start the new install routine.
You may be asked about formatting the drive, which will erase ALL DATA, this is what you need to do, format NTFS, which prepares the hard drive for the new Windows O/S.
None of the old XP installation will be there, including any files you saved, all will be replaced with new Windows files from the disc.
(It's worth saying that if you try to install Win7 or 8 on a very old PC, e.g. 2005 or earlier, there might be a few drivers that won't work properly, my own 2006 Dell 5150 is running Win8 Pro with no problems, but it can happen, esp. with laptops which may only work with certain drivers, and Win7/8 will not include or support.)
Hope this helps, it's actually much easier to do all this than to write about it !

Hi TamaJoann, Don't know if you have made any progress with your damaged pc,
if you can get XP going again and it works, then that could be one answer, it depends on how much time and effort you can spend on it, it's often simpler to start again.
One reason that these problems happen is that the hard drive (C: usually) has started to fail, areas on the disk become unusable, or the 'seek' arm loses accuracy. There is no fix, and a new hard drive is the only answer.
But if the hard drive is ok, and it's 'just' software issues, and could well be, then you will need a Windows system disc, (XP, or later) but note, that you don't need to spend time 'fixing' the drivers on the old XP system first, because the new Windows system that you install competely replaces the old one, all the drivers are installed from the new disk, at least to get it going. You may need to search for other drivers if you have a 'special' sound card or video card though.
All you need to do, is to go into the BIOS settings from switch-on, and change the 'first boot' device from " Primary hard disc " to " CD/DVD drive", then 'Save and exit'.
That tells the PC where to look for an operating system.
Then you put the CD/DVD in the drive, press and hold the power button, 'till it powers off, press again, and your pc will then look at the Windows disc in the DVD drive, and start the new install routine.
You may be asked about formatting the drive, which will erase ALL DATA, this is what you need to do, format NTFS, which prepares the hard drive for the new Windows O/S.
None of the old XP installation will be there, including any files you saved, all will be replaced with new Windows files from the disc.
(It's worth saying that if you try to install Win7 or 8 on a very old PC, e.g. 2005 or earlier, there might be a few drivers that won't work properly, my own 2006 Dell 5150 is running Win8 Pro with no problems, but it can happen, esp. with laptops which may only work with certain drivers, and Win7/8 will not include or support.)
Hope this helps, it's actually much easier to do all this than to write about it !

Thank You for the info. I ran the XP disk and started over and it fixed the problem for me. I still had to find audio and visual drivers but all is good now. It's great to have all the help from everyone there to guide me through problems, Thanks again! Tammie

Back