Too low PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have started building a pc recently, but due to limited budget i am buying a part after part. So far i have bought a motherboard and a PSU.

My wish list is looking like this:
Mobo: GA-P55-USB3
CPU:i5-750
GPU:1x HD Radeon 5850
RAM:2x2gb 1600
HDD:1x 7.200 rpm

The PSU i have bought is Gigabyte Superb 550P which clams to have 450w continuous output and has 550w Peak combined wattage.

Before buying psu i have spent some time on a calculator just to see that it shows a 352w minimum requirements, so i have decided that a ~450w psu would be enough. Althought after surfing net i have seen people going for 750watts+ with similiar systems built. This is my first time building pc, so im kinda lost here.

Thanks in advance.

Don't think you need anything as high as 750W there.

However, if its not too much, I'd go with at least 550 just to be on the safe side.

Some components do require more power as they age, and PSUs deliver less as they age, so you'd want to build those factors in, unless you plan on buying new stuff every so often (2-3 years?). I'm not sure if solid caps in motherboards changed this equation though.

What CMH said. I don't know if you would care to apply this to your situation or not, but I add all components up at their peak usage, and add 30% to the continuous power rating. this does not account for upgrading or adding another graphics card.

Thanks for the replies. It was helpfull.

PSU is still unpacked so i will head to store to change to a more powerfull.
How much wattage and which brand should i consider?

Thanks in advance.

What's your budget like? I would normally pick a Corsair 650TX keeping all future upgrade possibilities in mind. But if you're going to keep to a single GPU for now then the Corsair 550VX would be great.

Thanks for the replies.

No i am not going for crossfire since my motherboard supports 2nd gpu at 4x only. Max what i will change in the future is i7 CPU, some additional RAM and a better GPU upgrade. Wattage change should be minor.

Thanks again for support :).

No i am not going for crossfire since my motherboard supports 2nd gpu at 4x only.

Hey Cinzano, just FYI. The x4 PCIE slot works perfectly well for a GPU. you will only lose 8-10% performance wise even with a monster card. If someone told you the x4 slot is worthless for gaming, they lied or do not know what they are talking about. So if you want, crossfire away. :)

Max what i will change in the future is i7 CPU

Additionally to what red said, you can't get LGA1366 CPU to fit in a LGA1156 socket. Hence, you are stuck with processors which support hat, so in case you want to upgrade someday, go for i7 875K (i think its an excellent CPU) :)

the i5 750 is a very capable processor, and I doubt you'd need a more powerful one anytime soon. I own one, and its the most powerful processor in my house, and I doubt I'd be upgrading it at all for the next 3-5 years.

And by that time, I'd probably need a whole new system anyway.

As far as Crossfire goes, I don't think upgrading to Crossfire is ever a good option, unless you're thinking of doing it within a year (or close to it). Crossfire older cards don't seem to make sense to me, as buying a new, current generation card would be better value for money.

But if you are thinking of doing so, yes, a 4x slot is good enough, and the difference between that and an 8x/16x is negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back