Power button on my PC doesn't work

So I have a custom built gaming PC, and ever since I bought it the power button doesn't want to work properly. You can get the PC turned on by hitting the power button and flipping the PSU switch on at the same time if you get the timing right, or if you hit the button repeatedly really quickly, which is what I have been doing for the most part, but I would really like a more permanent solution. I had thought it was the wiring from the front panel of my case, and tried to solve the issue by buying a separate power button, but it didn't work, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm worried its an issue with the connectors on the motherboard, because when I tried to power on the machine by shorting out the pins on the motherboard that didn't work either. Is my next step to replace the motherboard, or is there something I'm possibly missing?

Sounds like "Power Good" is not working. If it is not, then changing power button (a momentary 'on' switch) will not correct it...and nor will shorting the power good pins make it start.

It could be motherboard - but it could also be the power supply unit.

If it were mine, I would contact the builder.. it is a problem from Day One.

If you want to do this yourself, I would borrow a PSU and try to run the system with that in place. If that didn't work, I would remove everything from the case and rebuild the system on a benchtop. It could also be a missing or misplaced stand-off, so check the locations in the case match the ones needed for the motherboard (see its manual - available at maker's support site).

Many good videos on YouTube for this kind of troubleshooting - I like Carey Holzman's many tech vids - but also look at Linus Tech Tips and others.

Also, check ComputerHope... https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000312.htm

Let us know what works (or doesn't).

So update, borrowed a power supply from a friend to try out, and it did not fix the issue. Leaning toward it being an issue with the motherboard. So that and the CPU are getting replaced.

Back