Too many processes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out why my computer has been running so slowly.
possible too many processes? I have anywhere from 85-99 process running and have no idea what most of them are.

I have windows xp
160 GB on HD
1 GB RAM
I have some photo software (photoshop/lightroom) that I use often and have added since buying the computer 2+ years ago.

- already used disk cleanup
-already defragged
-already checked for spy/adware

I'm assuming too many proccesses might be the problem.

1. How do I figure out which processes I need to keep upon startup?
2. how do I stop the processes from starting upon startup?
3. Is there anything else that could be slowing down my computer that I'm missing?

You mentioned you use photo software quite a bit. Do you store a lot of photos or downloaded videos on your harddrive? The reason I ask is because my sister does a lot of photography and stores her photos on her harddrive.

Her computer was slowing down more and more and couldn't figure out why until I asked her how much of her harddrive was still free. Turns out her HD was about full.

So out of the 160 gigs how much is unused?

1. How do I figure out which processes I need to keep upon startup?

Click start, run, type 'msconfig' (no quotes) and under services check 'hide all microsoft services' and there are the additional services you have running.

Under 'startup' will be a list of all the additional programs that are auto-starting.

2. how do I stop the processes from starting upon startup?

Basically, none of those HAVE TO start to run Windows, but obviously some auto-starting make your life easier as the computer operator.

3. Is there anything else that could be slowing down my computer that I'm missing?

Having large temp files, a seriously defragmented drive(s), having too small a virtual memory setting, ......, ie, several things.

YES, YES, and YES.

well, or basically to say. yes, you probably have too many processes (and even if not, it's GOOD that you're thinking that way and you should check)

Here's a good place to start Pacman's Portal and click on startups. They provide the tutorial plus the tools plus the information you'll need about processes in their database. And it's all very useful stuff to know going forward.

Report back when all done!

85-99 process

Hey when I see a computer like that, I run Startup Control Panel, untick everything (on all the tabs) then restart.
Then, seeming just about all startups are turned off, then go back to Startup Control Panel and select only the ones I want to start with Windows (like Antivirus)
The only issue with this, is if it's a laptop, you may loose the Mouse touchpad software (which is a startup program normally) but using a USB external mouse will avoid this issue anyway

And of course ensure that those 85-99 percent aren't system Idle processes - I have a customer come to me worried about that before.

*Puts head in hands*

I've tried a few things but...

I tried deleting some shortcuts as suggested on Pacmans Portal, but that only got me down to 70 processes. (I just can't tell what most of the proccesses are.)
And, of course, this made my startup run differently and not sure if that is ok (it ran chkdsk - and message said it would continue to do so as long as I chose "selective" startup items).

After step 3 or 4 of removing processes, Pacmans Portal went over my head.

As for Windows Startup Utility, I do have a laptop and am too worried about losing my mouse touchpad to run the program.

Is there a way for me to post the list of what the processes are that are running and for someone to look at them and tell me what I do/do not need?

What about changing the amount of memory that is used for certain functions?

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach
    attach.gif
    your log into a new reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back