Top eSports star retires due to wrist injury at the age of 22

Shawn Knight

Staff member

esports gaming league of legends sports retirement competitive gaming cloud9 mid laner hai lam

The captain of one of the top League of Legends teams has announced his retirement at the young age of 22. Effective immediately, Hai Lam will no longer participate in Cloud9 team games according to a post on the team’s website.

Lam said the primary reason for his decision to step down is due to a wrist injury that he can no longer ignore. He said it limits his ability to play as much as he needs and ultimately hampers aspirations to improve. Some other team activities also contributed to the decision but the real story here is the injury.

Last year, Lam was unable to attend the All-Star event in Paris due to a collapsed lung. And just last month, The Daily Dot ran a story about the young gamer suffering from tendonitis in his wrist. It would certainly seem that the years of intense gaming have taken a toll on his body.

If you don’t believe eSports should be classified as a real sport, perhaps this story will change your mind.

The average career of a professional athlete isn’t very long, regardless of sport. According to the NFL Players Association, the average NFL career is just 3.3 years. Granted, comparing the NFL to eSports isn’t an apples to apples comparison but it does highlight the fact that those performing at the very highest level in nearly any activity are likely to succumb to some sort of physical injury.

Lam said he is now focused on his new role as the chief gaming officer of Cloud9, a job that’ll consist of finding new talent and building partner relationships.

Image via The Daily Dot

Permalink to story.

tumblr_lzv4433XSQ1qaboh9o1_500.gif

Shame. It's a good thing he didn't take up boxing, wrestling or any contact sport professionally, he wouldn't have gotten very far, imagine the effect that would've had on his delicate frame.

"If you don’t believe eSports should be classified as a real sport, perhaps this story will change your mind."

No. Not by a long shot. If overuse injuries validate e-sports as a legitimate sport, typists and musicians should be on ESPN too.

"If you don’t believe eSports should be classified as a real sport, perhaps this story will change your mind."

No. Not by a long shot. If overuse injuries validate e-sports as a legitimate sport, typists and musicians should be on ESPN too.
Yep! I started to say something similar. Never mind that, you said it better.

No kidding, how did a story about a guy who has to retire turn into a defense of gaming as a sport?

Maybe Shawn just likes the 'Is this a sport' argument, because it is a good one. Right up there with 'should Pete Rose be in the hall of fame.'

The average career of a professional athlete isn’t very long, regardless of sport. According to the NFL Players Association, the average NFL career is just 3.3 years. Granted, comparing the NFL to eSports isn’t an apples to apples comparison but it does highlight the fact that those performing at the very highest level in nearly any activity are likely to succumb to some sort of physical injury.

What an incoherent paragraph. First, you bring up the NFL in a story about a retiring gamer who got carpel tunnel syndrome (I wish I can retire from working since all I do is type all day!). Then you say the NFL and being a gamer isn't an apples-to-apples comparison (agree!), but then you go on to validate the comparison with your last statement! Make up your mind.

EDIT: I see that he has tendonitis. Well, I have tendonitis in my right foot. I still run and walk everyday. I wish I can retire, but my wife would kick my butt if I did that.

This. I was trying to word it myself but you really hit the nail on the head.

An "eSports star"?? (Didn't know there was such a thing.) The human race has really devolved with all this technology. (And to the author, "NO, this is not 'real' sports". Good grief!)

Any "sport" where a teen or pre-teen can beat an adult is not a real sport. Remember that sports are just games with arbitrary rules. I can invent a "sport" where I would be number 1 in the world. I consider Robot Wars a real sport.

If your life is not in peril while taking part in said "sport", then it is not a sport. Football, hockey, NASCAR, etc. Hell, there were 9 deaths in ping pong from 1997-2009 in Germany! Hang Gliding 0, and Canoeing 0.

Sridoodla, a "real" sport is something that is not virtual. (I..e - computer games are NOT sports.)

Back