Torrents fast speed tests slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amigosdefox

I've been having this problem for 3 days now. I have a 5Mbps downstream 768kbps upstream dsl connection and noticed that webpages were opening noticeably slower and streaming video took ages to load. All speed tests I run show that I get around 300-400 kbps downstream even though my upstream is normal at around 600 kbps.
I know it is not my computer or browser since I've tried the tests on other computers in my house. I contacted my isp and they tested my phone line and said it was ok. They even changed the modem but it didn't help. I tried to connect using my isp's modem with router functionality and also as a bridge with my own router but I get the same results. The problem started happening overnight without any changes to any configuration in my home computers or the network. Today I noticed that I get much higher speeds (almost full bandwidth) when downloading torrents but as I said videos take forever to load and all speedtests show a very low downstream speed.
Anybody know what could be causing this? I suspect that it is a problem with my isp (perhaps with port 80?) but they say that everything shows up as normal on their side.

DSL has issues with speed. I use to have 1.5mbps, then 3mbps and 5mbps. I even bypass the way DSL works in the home. You can do the same but take some time to do. Most you can get out of that is a much stronger signal. You tap into the main phone line that comes in like through a basement before it hits the phone. I use CAT5e with a phone jack box ran that to another phone jack box with a modular connector. That connector would use ultra phone line cable based on Cat 5e but for phone data. That would go to your DSL modem. It worked well. Now that I am cable modem I'll never go back to DSL.

Are your torrents running at this point? If you don't cap your upload speed to something like 80% of its max it will affect your download, so even if you aren't downloading (but are uploading) torrents your download speed on normal internet stuff will be slower than it should be.

Ok, I figured you had, but it was a little ambiguous in your post so I wanted to make sure.

TCP.sys is limited to 10 connections. Jacking that up to 100 to 200 helps. I would only go to 200 if the router can support it. Otherwise 100 / 80 (BT software would use 80) TCP.sys would jump from 10 to 100. Or 200 /100 TCP sys would be 200 and BT software would use 100. Vuze XP or 7 supports this method. I don't know about UT one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back