Toshiba A-55s laptop won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,

i have a toshiba a-55s laptop that has been working just fine, but now it won't go to the operating system. when i open it up and turn it on, i get a blinking cursor. none of the function keys work, nothing works on the keyboard at all. finally, like 45 min later, it will say "initializing and establishing link". then it will hang there for like another 2 hr. it MIGHT eventually turn on, but no guarantee. any ideas on how to fix it?

Can you provide a more specific model number? I'm seeing that there are actually 15 different sub-models of the A55-S Toshiba satellite.

On second thought, having reviewed the data more carefully, it appears that all of the A-55 laptops are significantly similar such that this is not an issue.

When did your problem start then?
Have you recently transported the laptop? Dropped it? Done anything to it besides allowing it to sit comfortable and motionless on a desk?

i take it almost everywhere, but to my knowledge i've never dropped it. it definitely gets moevd around alot, though. this problem started about a week ago.

When you first turn on the laptop, are you able to enter BIOS normally during post? (Or at all?) I'm not positive what the key would be for your specific computer, but most computer use delete, F2, F12, or another F key to enter BIOS.

If you are successfully able to enter BIOS, read around for an option to restore defaults. You may also have an option to set fail-safe defaults, try the normal default settings first, and if that doesn't change anything then try the fail-safe option if it's available.

If you are able to enter BIOS and use your keyboard normally while doing so, then your issue is LESS likely to be caused by a physical problem with a component.

If this is what you meant when you said you are unable to use the keyboard, (I wasn't sure if you were also including post in your description or just after it gets to Windows) then it sounds like you have developed a hardware issue some how.

Try connecting an external keyboard to your laptop so you're not relying on the native one. If you only have USB ports on your laptop, and you only have a PS/2 (those round connections that are usually color-coded purple) keyboard available, then you can pick up a USB to PS/2 adapter at most Staples or office sales type stores for around $15. They're useful to have around, but in the event that you don't want to spend the money, there are further testing options that you can perform for free.

Post your results back here please after you try resetting BIOS.

i am not able to enter BIOS at all using this keyboard, but had not thought of trying an external keyboard. i will pick one up and try that. right now, it says insert system disk in drive, press any key when ready". that is a new one, too. i have NO idea what is going on with this thing....

Normally I would agree with lamo, however, the joint failures of the keyboard coupled with the newly developed hard drive issues suggest to me that there may be underlying motherboard issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back