Toshiba introduces its first Blu-ray player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Toshiba's battle against Blu-ray has come full circle, it seems. After they announced their decision to end HD DVD, there were many questions about what their future held. Some suggested they'd compete with another format; others said they'd drop out of the market. Instead, Toshiba sought access to the BDA earlier this year, and began working on a Blu-ray player of their own.

That work has come to fruition, with Toshiba officially announcing their first Blu-ray player. Toshiba's BDX2000 will feature true 1080p playback, the newest BD-Live 2.0 Profile, compatibility with Toshiba's REGZA-LINK, an SD card slot and more. The BDX2000's introductory price will be about $250, putting it somewhat in line with offerings like Sony's BDP-S350. That's still only $50 less than Sony's 120GB PlayStation 3 Slim, though. Toshiba expects their Blu-ray player to be available in retail starting November, hoping to capitalize on the holiday season.

Though it goes without saying, the BDX2000 will not support HD DVD playback.You can read more about the new unit after the jump.

TOSHIBA INTRODUCES BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER

Debut player delivers high image quality and sophisticated design, a great complement to Toshiba's superior line of HDTVs

Wayne, NJ September 3, 2009 -- Toshiba America Consumer Products L.L.C. (Toshiba), a market leader in home entertainment products, underscores its commitment to high-definition entertainment with the introduction of its first Blu-ray Disc player. The BDX2000 provides Full HD 1080p digital output that when coupled with a REGZA LCD TV, enables consumers to enjoy the superior quality of high-definition audio & video content.

Supporting BD-Live (Profile 2.0), the BDX2000 allows users to take advantage of interactive features through an Ethernet connection. With interactive content enabled on select Blu-ray discs and Bonus View support for picture-in-picture capability, Toshiba's Blu-ray player offers state-of-the-art home entertainment.

Complementing the player's stunning picture quality, design is an integral component of Toshiba's home entertainment products. This new Blu-ray Disc player boasts a faceted design featuring a smoked mirrored front panel. The stylish front panel dropdown door conceals the player's primary functions, allowing for a smooth, clean facade.

Toshiba is a technology leader in high definition products, said Jodi Sally, Vice President of Marketing, Digital A/V Group. From listening to our consumers we know they demand access to full high definition content. With the introduction of our BDX2000 we are offering consumers what they want with a breath-taking HD viewing experience to meet the needs of today's home theater.

Using the REGZA-LINK function, the new BDX2000 can connect with a REGZA LCD TV via a HDMI cable and display full high definition content with a single remote control. For added convenience, the BDX2000 features a SD card slot, making it an entertainment hub in the home by allowing consumers to showcase photos and videos with ease.

Additional Product Features:

• BD-Live (Profile 2.0)
  • 1080p/ 24fps Full HD Video Output
  • AVCHD Playback
  • Toshiba REGZA-LINK (HDMI-CEC)
  • Support for enhanced audio formats from Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio | Essential Playback
  • Bonus View
  • SD Card Slot
  • ENERGY STAR Certified

Pricing and Availability:

Toshiba Blu-ray Disc Player

BDX2000 (available November, MSRP $249.99)

Permalink to story.

This is great news, if this Toshiba is as reliable over time as the other Toshiba optical drives... They are now the leader in high definition... Quality across the board for Toshiba.

Shame no HD DVD, although cannot blame them. But they could at least give the early adopters and upgrade path. There are still some HD DVD floating around. Perhaps the studios with a good PR kick can give BR versions of movies at a discount to the people with HD versions. Wishful thinking, and probably more likely in a better economic climate... oh well...

I shy away from Toshiba the last two notebooks I had from them crapped out on me, havn't bought any of their products since. for another 50usd I'll just buy a gaming console and a blueray player.

...I'm waiting for the 3D High Def disc player to come out in a few minutes...
And then when that's out, I'll be waiting for the 2K streaming internet player to come out and finally buy something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back