Toshiba Laptop BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

4iv4n

Hello... I'm new here.

I was using my laptop and there were updates. So I installed them before shutting down... but after I checked up on it again, there was a BSOD. The error was Stop Error 0×00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Somebody help me please. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4747.

Thank you

Re: 0x50 errors

Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Possible Resolutions:

• If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.

Can you boot to safe mode? (f8 after power up - and after bios password if enabled).
From safe mode, right click on my computer, click on properties, click on "hardware" tab, click on "device manager" button.
Check for yellow or red flags... roll back drivers these drivers if possible.

I would like for you to check for memory errors as well...
Use Memtest... See this tutorial... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Since these errors can have many causes...
I would like for you also to go to the Virus and Malware board, and follow carefully the 8 steps.
See here https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Until we can get a stable system for you, you may need to download the tools to another computer, and then burn them to a cd for use on the Toshiba.

The problem could be tied directly to the updates... right?
Can you boot in <SAFE MODE>?
It is possible you changed something... Microsoft posts a list of all the updates it comes out with each week. You might look at that list, and see if there are clues... and if any of them can be removed.

Thanks guys for your help,
I can boot into safe mode. When I checked my "Device Manager", there were no red or yellow flags, but there were 2 yellow triangles with exclamation points in them. The devices were "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4" and "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #7". The device status is: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I cannot rollback the drivers, but I can update them.

As for the memory test and virus scans, I have yet to try those.

I did some research, and one of the causes may be a driver issue, how can I check if there is an issue with a driver?

RE: ISATAP Code 31, you may safely ignore this error, per - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520.

In Vista...
# Open the Control Panel and go to Programs and Features.
# Click View installed updates in the top of the left column.
# Rick-click the updated you want to uninstall and select uninstall.

This will roll-back your update.

Memtest Results

I have just run memtest, and there aren't any errors.
I also checked all my drivers, and I noticed that all of my drivers were last updated in 2006 or 2007. Can an outdated driver the the cause of the blue screen? Should I update all my drivers?

No I have not... But if i checked all the drivers and they were last updated 2006 or 2007, that means that the Windows Updates was not the problem, nor was a faulty driver, as there was none. And the scans from memtest show that the memory isn't the problem... so what is the problem, a virus? Because now that I recall, just about an hour before my computer crashed, my brother downloaded several trainers (hacks for some game), and right after they were finished downloading, Windows Defender detected a virus downloader/ injector. So I'm assuming the trainers are the cause of the crash. Does such a virus infect files on the computer? And if I leave the virus there long enough, will it end up killing my entire computer?

Okay, I got lucky... I just tried the computer one more time, and it works... somehow
Thanks for all the help, if I need anymore help, I will be back

The updates at Toshiba are there for a reason.
As for, "...And if I leave the virus there long enough, will it end up killing my entire computer..."
you never know the damage it can do... it may lurk for a while... It may do serious damage when it discovers the right software or configuration, or it could use your computer as a relay point to spread your evil stuff to anybody with whom you communicate... or to anybody on your server, or to anywhere on the net." And from those, it could come right back at you... or invite others in.

Thank you for all your help, but now I have another problem.
It's not a crash, but when I installed updates, it installed IE8.
And when I booted up, I got the Personalized Settings windows.
As of right now, it's setting up IE8, but I've been waiting for a while, and it never finishes

Sorry about the IE8 issues, 4iv4n .
No experience with that issue... maybe a new thread would get the help you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back