Toshiba Laptop XP Pro BSOD

Hi guys and girls, my names Ethan but a lot of friends call me Eatho.. I'm from Australia.. And I'd like to thank you all in advance for taking the time to look over my topic! :)

My Toshiba Laptop that I purchased in 2006 came to a halt about 12 months ago, when it all of a sudden started to come up with all different types of .sys Blue Screen Errors... as I don't/never have had a lot of money to spend, and the warranty was up, I decided to simply leave it and continue using my desktop PC instead.

This morning I had an urge to pull it out and see what I could do, or if maybe time alone had fixed it (incredibly stupid, I know! haha)
Anyway, I left the laptop completely empty and erased when the blue screens happened, not even an OS is on it.
So I threw in both the toshiba recovery disc, and a windows xp install disc (at different times!)
And neither of them could/can reach the end of installation/repair/etc/etc without a blue screen of death popping up!

As I recall it is pci.sys
and
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Which i remember was the original cause of my laptop crashing those 12 months ago)

Hope somebody might be able to push me in the right direction! But if not, thank you all again for looking over this.

Are you trying to install a clean copy of WinXP? -if so at what point is it that the BSOD comes?

If I'm not mistaking the pci.sys error is some kind of driver failure.

Hey thanks for the quick reply Kraid!

A Clean copy? Yeah I'd say so? Cause as I mentioned before I actually erased EVERYTHING including the OS off of it 12 months ago when all these errors started.

The BSOD comes up at the very end.

EG: When installing XP from the XP CD, it will actually put the OS on - and as its installing things like 'Start Menu Items' etc, on a Green Windows Background
Thats when I get the errors. Its never the same either, always tosses back and fworth between IRQL and pci.sys

And with the toshiba recovery disc (First Step on the Disc is wiping all partitions/data etc) It will wipe everything for an hour and then crash.

Ok, so here is what I found:
"This Stop message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory address to which it did not have permission to access. The most common cause of this error is an incorrect or corrupted pointer that references an incorrect location in memory. A pointer is a variable used by a program to refer to a block of memory. If the variable has an incorrect value in it, the program tries to access memory that it should not. When this occurs in a user-mode application, it generates an access violation. When it occurs in kernel mode, it generates a STOP 0x0000000A message. If you encounter this error while upgrading to a newer version of Windows, it might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version."

And if I'm reading it correctly there could be something wrong with the laptops memory...
How many ram "sticks" is there in the laptop? -if two you could try to swithc then / try with both separately. -if there is only one you could run a memory test with (for ex.) a ubuntu live cd.

Almost forgot, the "0x0000000" error code(s) that it gives when it bluescreens also could help finding the problem.

Back