Toshiba Satellite a215 wireless switch won't enable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody please help me. I upgraded my wireless card to an "Intel Wifi Link 5100" Wireless ABGN mini pci-e card. I was able to successfully get all of the drivers installed and hardware recognized. However, according to the Intel Proset Wireless Manager, it states that I need to turn on the physical hardware switch. The problem is...with the new card in place, switching the on/off button doesn't change the status or turn on the LED light.

I found in these forums that for the mini pci (not the mini pci-e) cards, you can actually cover up pins 11 and 13 to make it work. I can't seem to find any information on the pci-e card.

Additional information:Several people have suggested to install the model specific Wireless configuration utility that may be able to turn the hardware switch on. For the Toshiba, I installed Configfree, but it won't turn the switch or LED on.

All device drivers are installed and working properly. For this Toshiba model, there is no wireless enable/disable found in the BIOS either.

I'm hoping that there are certain pins that can be covered in the pci-e card to override the default hardware switch!!! Hopefully somebody out there will know.

Thanks.

Borrow a good book on Wireless networks... You are missing a few things on how such devices work, and a full understanding will help you a lot from here on out.

Borrow a good book on Wireless networks... You are missing a few things on how such devices work, and a full understanding will help you a lot from here on out.

Are you referring to a Windows wireless book or something more along the lines of a Toshiba specific book? Just a little more clarification would be helpful considering there are so many aspects of wireless networking. What kinds of things would you suggest I am missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back