Toshiba T135 screen not turning on

I just got a Toshiba T135 laptop just this week and so far so good, except for one thing. Whenever I shutdown the laptop and leave it for over an hour or so, and turn it back on, everything turns on (as in the lights over the power button and battery lights and so) except for the screen, you can hear the laptop working but the screen just stays blank.
To fix this I took out the battery and put it back in and everything worked as normal again, but this problem happens over and over and its getting very annoying putting the battery in and out to get the screen to turn on.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and any resolutions to fix this problem, because doing this everytime I turn it on does get a bit annoying!

Thanks

It sounds as if this PC is not shutting down correctly it is going into hibernation, removing the battery cuts off the power so it then shuts down completely. When you reboot do you get any error message, saying something like the PC did not shut down correctly.

Was this a second hand purchase, if new I would return it for replacement.

Have a good look through all the settings under power options.

It sounds as if this PC is not shutting down correctly it is going into hibernation, removing the battery cuts off the power so it then shuts down completely. When you reboot do you get any error message, saying something like the PC did not shut down correctly.

Was this a second hand purchase, if new I would return it for replacement.

Have a good look through all the settings under power options.

I bought if off from ebay so no chance of returning for replacement. The shut down process was normal, no error. I thought it was cmos battery but same problem after new battery replaced. :( Thanks for your reply anyways.

This product has an error, if it was not described as having this error then the product does not match its description and you are perfectly within your rights to claim a full refund. Check this out on ebay, tell the seller what the problem is and ask what they are prepared to do. If they do not reply or offer to refund your money then start a complaint against the seller.

Meanwhile, if you want to persevere trying to repair it there are some other things you can try.

(For windows 7 and Vista) Click Start and type cmd in the search box, hit enter, right click on cmd in the pop up list and select "Run As Administrator", the elevated command prompt box will open.

(For XP) Click Start then Run and type cmd in the run box and hit Enter.

Type powercfg /devicedisablewake (exactly as typed with only one gap) This will disable everything that can wake the PC.

This is a shot in the dark, if it doesn't work then I would first try running the System File Checker followed by a Repair install if that fails. Use the instructions above to get to a command prompt and type sfc /scannow and hit enter. You will need to put your Windows disc into the CD drive.

Check in Device Manager to make sure there are no yellow marks next to any devices.

Please tell me what version of Windows you are using and I'll see what else I can come up with. Did this laptop come preinstalled with Windows?

I would also run Anti Virus scans with the following.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Hi, thanks Mark66 for your help. The laptop was bought as is no return nor refund. I got good price for it. Anyway, none of the your suggestions seem to work. The laptop com with pre-installled Windows 7. I tried restored back the factory setting twice but same problem, this is frustrating.

As you have already done a system restore then this is more likely a hardware problem. Try connecting it to another standalone monitor, that will show if it is the actual monitor on the laptop that is causing the problem. If it is an LCD screen you may just find it is the back light or the inverter that is playing up.

Thanks Mark56, some more details.. after further testing, I found out that if the battery is 80% to fully charged then the laptop will start fine. The screen will turns on every time even though I leave it over night after shutdown. Do you think the battery is the caused? What got me confused is the battery still holds 3-4 hours if fully charged.

From what I have just read about this laptop you should get at least 5 hours use if constantly surfing the internet and more if idle. Obviously battery life does depend on what you are doing on the laptop, if you are playing games or watching a DVD it will shorten the battery life.

I would pursue with the test I suggested using another monitor. It is not normal for the screen to stay blank at boot up even when the battery is low.

Back