Toshiba Tablet with dead screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter has a Toshiba Tecra tablet laptop. 14" screen, I cannot find a model number though. I think it is about 3 years old.
The power, battery, and wireless lights come on and the fan runs. The screen shows nothing. There is no beeping sounds at start up either. I took it apart, and the hard drive seems to be running also.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, RPCFX

Hi rpcfx.

While I can offer no original advice, I have the same sort of problem with my Dell Inspiron 2500 with the same symptoms.

I've been advised to try running memtest86+, a free download prog often quoted here on TSpot. If you google for it, it's available in various forms, depending on what drives you have.

Unfortunately it didn't run in my case, but I hope you have better luck.
Apparently it's possible to copy the file incorrectly, and then it wont work, so I'm double checking the method at the moment.

Good luck
John

John, Thanks for the response. How can I put this download into the computer if the screen shows nothing?

Lamo, Thank you, I tried it. Still nothing.

rpcfx, good question that I asked myself, too.
Apparently this bit of software is "standalone" which seems to mean it will run on its own without even the bios etc being involved.
All seems a bit like magic to me, but then what's new !
It does, of course, need the screen to be working, so if there's a problem there, the answer seems to be to try an external monitor.
That then led me to ask how you get the monitor to respond if the keyboard is non responsive and you need the F2+key to switch to external ? :(
Slight feeling of going round in ever decreasing circles, with the inevitable result.
John

John,
That's how I feel.
None of the keys seem to work, there's not a startup beep sequence either. I have tried the external monitor, with no luck.? If it is the hard drive, I am worried that we will loose all the stored info.
RPC

RPC.
There's a good way to keep your hdd I've just been shown - a usb/ata drive lead.
They're quite cheap, come with a small piece of software you might need to load onto a working pc, and a double headed socket that you plug your laptop hdd into.
The other end plugs into a usb skt on the 2nd pc, and hey presto, your laptop hdd now appears as a new drive on your pc, with full access and the ability to save your data.

John

Hi Tmagic.
Yes that's it. Mine included a driver disc for win98, but I din't need it for this job.
Regards
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back