Toshiba USB/touch pad not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toshiba M45-S265. All of a sudden none of the USB ports are working, nor is the touchpad. When computer is cold and you start it, it works for a few minutes and then the cursor freezes up. Had it with a tech, who didn't instill a great amount of confidene. His best guess (after conferring with someone he sends out laptops to) was that possibly a hairline crack in the motherboard and pretty much felt at that point too expensive to bother with. I don't have a serial port on here. If so I could do a serial to usb convertor and hook up usb or external mouse that way. Hate to ditch whole computer, plus not ready to go to Vista yet. Would appreciate any suggestions.

trisha

Certainly USB seems to be the most common hardware part to fault with a failing motherboard.
But I would first confirm that System Setup Defaults were loaded (if you are able to press the key (usually DEL on your system startup) to get into CMOS settings, to run defaults

Also many times this is found to be internal dust, or even loose parts (screws etc)
If you are able to open it up (all power out) And remove any excess dust, ideally with high pressure air, that could help too.

By the way, this is happening in Safe Mode too, I suspect? (Safe mode is accessed by pressing F8 key before Windows starts)

I believe the tech did all that. It was quite dirty with dust and supposedly checked all connections. It happens in all modes. Also, as a work-around, if there is a hairline crack that affects only those things (usb ports and touchpad), could possibly a PCM card adapter with usb ports on it work. I'm tempted to try that. Because I could always hook up a usb mouse to that. When it initially happened, if I pressed down on the front left hand side (to the left of touchpad at the front corner), I could get the mouse to continue to move sporadically. That was how I got it to stay working long enough to get some files off of it.

Thanks
Trisha

Actually I'd probably try disconnecting the Touchpad all together (internally) and then see if USB miraculously come back. Each electronic device inside the laptop is separate to each other part, but when faulty can effect all components.

The addon USB card does sound to be a good test too

Thanks, your name is Trisha right? :)

I've never opened up the case and don't feel comfortable doing that. But I have a friend of a friend that I will take it to and see what happens with disconnecting touchpad and in the meantime I will try the usb card and see what happens. I think locally I can only get one with two ports in it but that will at least give me an idea if it works or not. thanks
trisha

Please let us know what happens
It would be interesting for others (and myself) if the disconnected touchpad fixes the USB issue. In which case you would just need to purchase this one part from the manufacture (or somewhere)

I read somewhere else that toshibas have an overheating issue, but the tech did say the fan was working but what I read was something to do with a heatsink issue...again, I'm not comfortable opening up the laptop. So i will let you guys know what happens later

thanks
trisha

Again, showing my ignorance, I wouldn't even know where to look to see what chipset. I haven't had a chance to try the PCM usb solution to see how that works. I live out a ways. So I've ordered one online, but am having someone next week try disconnecting the touchpad to see what that does.

thanks
trisha

chipset is Mobile Intel 915GM Express

Also computer runs fine for about 5 minutes when starting cold, but once it warms up, cursor locks up. this also freezes the screen...so not sure if the PCM work-around will work.

trisha

well, according our data about i915gm northbridge, and if you have non-working usb ports, and factory os reinstalled - this is the southbridge faulty(fw82801fbm). yes sometimes fbm chips have this issue. in this case you can only replace the motherboard, or replace the chip if you have according equipment :)

oh, forgot to say. did you try to clear CMOS data(i mean unsolder\disconnect the CMOS battery)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back