Transferring Hi-8 video tapes to laptop, can see video but no sound

I am using a Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 to transfer old videos to laptop. The tapes are playing in a Sony Handycam CCD-TR23 NTSC. I have a single monster cable from video out to video in on Roxio. I have tried regular RCA cables from the camcorder to the Roxio inputs but no luck. I tried the same set up direct to my TV and same thing no sound. I checked the volume settings and did not see anything to make a difference. I have many tapes to transferand do not want to pay a store to transfer these when I have done it before with a newer Mini DV camcorder and no prob. Thx

Yes, the RCA will support ONLY video -- you need to add audio via the headphone jack -- but that typically has connection for the other end.

Look for HDMI output. The DVI connection is like the RCA, there's no audio

Thank you for the reply. This camcorder does not have a HDMI or even an S video. I attached a pic of the camcorder. The top is video out and bottom audio out. Also, the Roxio I am using to make this work. I originally bought the Roxio to transfer the MiniDV tapes because that camcorder had a S video but no HDMI for transfer.

Attachments

• SONY HI-8 Camcorder pic.jpg
    SONY HI-8 Camcorder pic.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ROXIO Easy VHS to DVD 3 Capture.jpg
    ROXIO Easy VHS to DVD 3 Capture.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 3
Hey wait!!
August shows their capture using OBS. Take a look https://www.amazon.com/August-VGB100-External-Composite-Transfer/dp/B07X48G7YF

So ignore the rest of my ans and try OBS (its free) here. https://obsproject.com/welcome

The page may start the download but if you don't want it yet, hit cancel and load HOME to read about it. OBS will capture anything and put it anywhere you want it to go.

If this looks like what you're trying to do...

61FdxamihvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The yellow connector is composite video, I don't know if the S-video cable would need to be connected when using composite. Anyway you'll need something like this for Sony digital tape, Firewire supposedly works if you have the port, a firewire cable, but a different adapter may be required.

Last edited:
I am using a Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 to transfer old videos to laptop. The tapes are playing in a Sony Handycam CCD-TR23 NTSC. I have a single monster cable from video out to video in on Roxio. I have tried regular RCA cables from the camcorder to the Roxio inputs but no luck. I tried the same set up direct to my TV and same thing no sound. I checked the volume settings and did not see anything to make a difference. I have many tapes to transferand do not want to pay a store to transfer these when I have done it before with a newer Mini DV camcorder and no prob. Thx
How did this turn out? I am trying to do the same thing.

Back