Tricky problems

Hello everyone, my first post here, hope you'll help me..

So, the questions is quite simple, yet tricky to implement.

- Is there a possibility to connect one microphone to two separate laptops and talk through it to two different communication applications like Skype and Facebook for example?

- Also, is there a posibility to make these two communication apps hear each other by connecting two separate laptops through an audio cable of some sort?

The thing is: I want to make FB conference and Skype conference to merge into one big conference, make them hear each other. Also I want to talk to them using one microphone. Is that possible?

Any help would be appreciated. Note that Skype and FB are only examples.

- Is there a possibility to connect one microphone to two separate laptops and talk through it to two different communication applications like Skype and Facebook for example?
Yes, splitting mic output is trivial, just do the obvious.

As @jobeard has said, you can easily duplicate the microphone signal - use a splitter:

As for having the audio output from one app go to into another, your biggest issue to overcome is feedback: the sound from, say, Skype would appear in the output from FB conference, which would then be picked up by Skype again and so on.

There's no easy solution to this, as I'm sure countless people around the world have discovered during their first attempts at using the likes of Teams and Zoom in the current lockdown situations around the world.

However, you could do something like the following:

One microphone would be kept close to the speakers in both laptops, the other microphone would then pick up your voice, and then the audio interface unit would plug into the FB or Skype laptop. That way, both channels were hear the other channel and yourself - the feedback could well be horrendous though.

Thank you both for the answers, very helpful

Didn't think about the feedback.. really, that's the biggest obstacle. If I'll sort this problem out, I'll share my solution here.

Try 10uf capacitor inline with the hot lead connected to a 1k resister which goes to ground. The Cap+resister junction goes to the system mic input.

Back