Trouble installing a Nvidia 9600GT on an eMachine et1161-07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm new around here but this seems like a site with a lot of computer savvy fellas. I'd appreciate any help regarding a very annoying problem I'm currently having.

I've done a lot of googling / research on this subject. I dont know if I'm looking at the wrong places or not, but it seems like this is a common issue with eMachines and installing new video cards.

These are the specs

emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET1161-07

I upgraded the Power Supply to 650 W, so I know that's not the issue.

I've tried uninstalling drivers, messed with settings in BIOS (which doesnt have an option to disable onboard cards), disabled onboard card via device manager. And all of these methods have failed me. I've been doing this the whole day and I literally have no idea what to google / do next.

I'd appreciate any help guys :(((

You didn't mention if you connected the power supply to the 6 pin PCI-E power connector on the inside end of the card.

Check the BIOS to see if you have the option to set the primary graphics display.

Emachines claims the the PCI-E lane is available for "expansion".

If you have, or can get a hold of another monitor, hook one to the add in card, and one to the onboard graphics, to see if you still have the onboard graphics, with the card installed.

In addition to above suggestions, if you can connect to a VGA monitor while the nVidia addon card is installed (for my purpose, i don't care right now if a monitor is actually connected to nVidia or not) but let me know if is or is not when you do the following

Generate Problem Device Report
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate then attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

In addition to above suggestions, if you can connect to a VGA monitor while the nVidia addon card is installed (for my purpose, I don't care right now if a monitor is actually connected to nVidia or not) but let me know if is or is not when you do the following

Generate Problem Device Report
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate then attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

I have a DVI monitor, but it is connected to my onboard with my graphics card installed.

There is nothing under problem devices, and attached is my dxdiag.

Thanks so much for the help by the way, makes me feel like theres hope lol.

The funny thing is I bought my nVidia 9600GT over a year ago, and all this time I thought I was using it (noooob)

Thanks again guys! Hope we find the problem soon :(

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
OK... Here's my opinion based on what i see based given the data you provided (other opinions are also more then welcome as this is just my best guess)

I don't think Windows is seeing/detecting the addon graphics card. As only the onboard card is seen among your PCI devices. (Even if the drivers for the addon card were missing or incorrect there should still be indication that the hardware itself was detected). It's my understanding, (and someone pls correct me if i'm wrong) this means either one of
  • BIOS settings are set to ignore addon graphics
  • If no such BIOS setting exists to manually choose a graphics card I would expect BIOS to "automatically" choose the addon card when it detects its presence
Some other things i see and/or things you might try
  1. Once more carefully go through all your BIOS options looking for any video or onboard device options
  2. Don't know it'll make the difference, but i 't think you aren't running the latest version of the chipset drivers for the MB. Reinstall the latest chipset drivers from the support site
  3. Try re-seating the graphics card and reconnecting the power cable as well
  4. It looks like there's 2 DVI ports on the card?. You're tried both, i'll assume?
  5. You might need to at least buy a different card (you can return and get your $$ money back if need be) to see if it's really just the addon card that might be bad
The fact it appears undetected makes me think it's either BIOS options or a bad graphics board or not enough power for the addon board to be detected. So while i don't think the following will make a difference you might also try getting a DVI->VGA adapter and connecting the addon card to the monitor using a VGA cable.

Oh-oh-oh!

Excuse the double post but also wanted to be sure to grab your attention to one more thing i realized i forgot to mention....

Again, i don't know if it'll make a difference but your data also indicates you;re running Vista SP1? as you should also try installing SP2. (be sure to backup all your files/folders first or just create a backup image of the entire hard drive before you update). The update is usually smooth but not always...

OK... Here's my opinion based on what i see based given the data you provided (other opinions are also more then welcome as this is just my best guess)

I don't think Windows is seeing/detecting the addon graphics card. As only the onboard card is seen among your PCI devices. (Even if the drivers for the addon card were missing or incorrect there should still be indication that the hardware itself was detected). It's my understanding, (and someone pls correct me if i'm wrong) this means either one of
  • BIOS settings are set to ignore addon graphics
  • If no such BIOS setting exists to manually choose a graphics card I would expect BIOS to "automatically" choose the addon card when it detects its presence
Some other things i see and/or things you might try
  1. Once more carefully go through all your BIOS options looking for any video or onboard device options
  2. Don't know it'll make the difference, but i 't think you aren't running the latest version of the chipset drivers for the MB. Reinstall the latest chipset drivers from the support site
  3. Try re-seating the graphics card and reconnecting the power cable as well
  4. It looks like there's 2 DVI ports on the card?. You're tried both, i'll assume?
  5. You might need to at least buy a different card (you can return and get your $$ money back if need be) to see if it's really just the addon card that might be bad
The fact it appears undetected makes me think it's either BIOS options or a bad graphics board or not enough power for the addon board to be detected. So while i don't think the following will make a difference you might also try getting a DVI->VGA adapter and connecting the addon card to the monitor using a VGA cable.

I've looked through my BIOS many times and I'm sure there aren't any settings to disable the onboard. I've tried reseating / reconnecting as well. The only thing I haven't tried is using the new card on another comp, but I hope that's not the issue (the fan on the card is running)

Oh-oh-oh!

Excuse the double post but also wanted to be sure to grab your attention to one more thing i realized i forgot to mention....

Again, i don't know if it'll make a difference but your data also indicates you;re running Vista SP1? as you should also try installing SP2. (be sure to backup all your files/folders first or just create a backup image of the entire hard drive before you update). The update is usually smooth but not always...

Hmmmmm installing now. Crossing my fingers :D

1) Be sure to update the chipset drivers also

2) Also since there's 2 DVI ports on that card, is possible a specific one must be connected to a monitor at the time of power up for the card to be recognized??? (dunno, just guessing) so also try testing by booting with the monitor connected to different ports

G'luck! Let us know how it turns out

Its not to water down your excitement about new graphic card for your PC, but when I bought 9600GT for my PC few years ago, the original EVGA 9600GT wouldn't work not matter what I do, and unfortunately it turned out that I got a bad card, hence I got it replaced.

Keeping in mind this do you have or can you arrange another display card just to check whether that works in your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back